Page 1 of 1[1]

Piccadilly

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Apr/12/2008 1:13 PM PST

I was looking through my grandmother's recipies from when she got married, and I found a recipe for picadilly. Has anyone heard of it, or know how it's eaten?

If you want the recipe, I'll post it, too, but I'll warn you that it would feed the whole neighborhood.
Twiggybet1 blog photos
Posted: May/04/2008 11:19 PM PST

I've heard of picadilly. It's a green tomato relish, isn't it? The recipe you have is probably a canning recipe, I'm guessing. You would use it much like corn relish, as a condiment for meat or whatever. I have never made it myself, but I seem to remember running accross the recipe a while back.
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 12:02 PM PST

Actually, it's mostly bell peppers. Yes, it's a canning recipe. I asked my father-in-law about it, and he said that it's used a lot out in Austrailia as a form of relish (he's Austrailian). I've never heard of corn relish, is it relish made out of pickled corn?
wolfwalkerpa photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 1:56 PM PST

Different spelling but its in a old cook book i have.Red and Green Picalilli

3 lb. red tomatoes
3 lb. green tomatoes
3 sweet red peppers
3 sweet green peppers
2 lb. onions
1 medium head cabbage
1 medium bunch celery
1/2 c. salt
1 1/2 qt. vinegar
3 lb. sugar
1/2 c. yellow mustard seed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves

Wash all vegetables. Remove seeds. Put through grinder. Add salt and let stand overnight. Drain. Add rest of ingredients. Place in a deep kettle. Bring to a boil. Simmer 1 hour. Put in jars and seal.
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 2:58 PM PST

Be careful. As stated, this is an old "open kettle" recipe and must be refrigerated if made since it is not tested and approved for "canning".
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Jul/19/2008 8:01 PM PST

Wow, your recipe is a lot different from mine! A lot smaller, too. Here's mine.

6 bottles of capers
6-8 bunches of celery
1 bushel of Green Peppers
6 red peppers for color
4-5 lbs. hot peppers
2 gallons of Mazola oil
2 qts. of olives

Cut peppers and celery up fine, add capers and copped olives and have everything well-drained. Pack jars well to 1 inch of the top. Pour over the oil and let stand open overnight. Seal the next day. Makes 50 pints.

I guess some piccadil recipes have tomatoes and some don't. My bad.
wolfwalkerpa photos
Posted: Jul/20/2008 5:41 AM PST

Was told by a Amish friend that green beans or green shelled Lima beans can be added as well. I guess different folks like different thing in Picalilli. lol
wolfwalkerpa photos
Posted: Jul/20/2008 7:34 AM PST

Green Picalilli (Another Picalilli recite)

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

4 ea Tomato, green
1 c Horseradish, grated
2 T Cloves, ground
2 T Mustard, dry
1 x Vinegar
2/3 c Salt
2 T Cinnamon
2 T Allspice
4 T Pepper
2 c Brown sugar

Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let stand over night. In the morning, drain in colander. Add the horseradish, spices and sugar and enough vinegar to cover, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
dreamcat06
Posted: Mar/24/2010 9:08 AM PST

hi could you please send me the recipe my mom died 5 years ago and i would love to make this again for my children. my sister got all the recipes and due to unfortunate circumstances we are not in contact with each other. my mother would be heart broken over these events and i would just like to pass this on to my children as this is one of the only ones i can not remember. thank you very much for hearing me out.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account