Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Mint as a Ground Cover?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Apr/12/2008 12:07 PM PST

I have a spring bulb garden. It's completely surrounded by cement. I wanted to put in a ground cover that would keep out the weeds during the summer and fall. Would mint work that way, or would it choke out the bulbs?

Also, I was thinking of planting some coneflowers in that same bed. Since coneflowers are taller than mint, would I have to worry about the mint choking them out, too?

Am I asking for trouble by even thinking about planting mint in the ground?
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/12/2008 1:42 PM PST

I'm sure you'll hear how invasive mint is--I've never grown it so I can't give you first-hand knowledge.

Spring bulbs do not need supplemental summer water and mint does, so thyme might be a better companion for your bulbs.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Apr/12/2008 7:07 PM PST

id think it could work but then ive only had mint in containers an im a HUGE fan of mint

--speakin i cant believe someone called catnip invasive!!!!!!!!!!!! its nuthin compaired to chocolate mint or even spearamint those 2 can an may overrun there potmates sofar thi the chocolate is great ta an fer everything else so my experiences id say shure go fer it but do youre diffing first
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Apr/15/2008 3:50 PM PST

I think that thyme is a better idea. I use a lot of thyme in the kitchen, so that will be great. It's so pretty, too. Thanks for the advice.
CountryKitty
Posted: Apr/19/2008 9:29 PM PST

I've grown spearming--it tries to eat my air conditioning unit every summer! It's impossible to dig out completely, I've tried several times. However, I've seen peppermint grown as a deep groundcover around a small tree in an island bed and kept in check with mowing...the spearmint here also seems to be kept out of the main part of the yard by mowing.

It might work with bulbs....here the spearmint is only just now coming on strong (a few inches high, while the narcissus are done and the tulips fading.
witt blog photos
Posted: Apr/20/2008 5:26 AM PST

Now, that's a thought, CountryKitty. Using the mint to hide the fading daffodils, etc. Once the leaves are gone, then you can easily pull up the tall mint. It'll grow back, of course, but it will be small to start with. I just keep pulling mine up when it gets too overpowering of the other things. It's a pleasant job because it smells so good and not difficult to pull.
flyfisher51 blog photos
Posted: May/15/2008 5:57 PM PST

It has been suggested to me to confine the roots to keep them from spreading. I have old kitty litter pails that I am going to cut to a ring about 6 to 8 inchs deep. Put the ring almost completely in the ground and plant the mint inside. I hope it works.
plantnative blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 8:51 AM PST

Hi last year I planted mint in a pot and planted the pot in my garden. The mint spread all over anyway. I love mint and use it for cooking all the time so I didn't mind. I did have to pull up a lot in that bed because it was crouding out the other plants. If you keep it cut back and don't let it go to seed it should be ok. The butterflies love the flowers also.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: May/20/2008 3:39 PM PST

you must be talkin about spearamint cause its the most invasive in my experience try a different variety of mint there different levels of invasiveness (even growing in pots i can see it!!!!!!)
Fedupofweeds
Posted: May/21/2008 4:06 AM PST

While Mints are invasive, they are the most wonderful of herbs you can have in your garden. I have five different varieties of mints, so far, I have had no problem, while they spread some, they are not that big where I cant stil plant many things around it including flowers or vegetables. Miunts improve the quality and flavor of many vegetables plus attracts predatory insects which are beneficial to your garden, just try to keep it divided once you see some spreading taking place. I have Pepeprmint, sparemint, gingermint, lemon mint and moroccan mint all I love very much. wait, I have catmint which makes six and lemonbalm also, those are in the mint family so 7 in all. I have actually propogated it in other areas of my garden as fillers where I would rather have mint than Ivy
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account