Page 1 of 1[1]

Plants for Zone 6B

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
SharpeiNY
Posted: Mar/30/2008 1:18 PM PST

Hi, I am new here & I am looking up hardy plants & Herbs for the zone I live in 6B before I start planting. I dont have much of a green thumb. hopefully soon.
Lori
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/30/2008 1:40 PM PST

Welcome, Sharp! I am in 6b too ~ not the same state though, and we have a lot to choose from. Your best bet is to always check the plant label before you buy anything. You may be able to get away with a zone 7 too. Also, anything that you already see growing in your zone is a good sign.
Herbs like chives, garlic chives, tarragon and thyme are perennials. My parsley will also overwinter if I keep it planted in a protected spot. Not so with basil ~ annual only.
Be careful what people tell you in a garden center ~ they often speak only "what-you-want-to-hear-ese". If they tell you a plant is hardy in your zone, best to check that out for yourself first.
As for other plants, what do you like or want to grow? It would be near impossible to list all plants that are hardy in 6b, there are SO many. Start with a few names and we can help. Ask other gardeners in your area. Don't be afraid to ask ~ people love to talk about their plants ~ I have made more friends that way.
CountryKitty
Posted: Mar/31/2008 5:17 AM PST

I'm in 6b in KY and Sage is also hardy to your zone--there is a gold and green variety and a purple blushed variety as well as a standard mild green.There are also a couple of evergreen blueberry varieties available, and a blueberry-cranberry relative called lingonberry which is a small evergreen bush.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account