Page 1 of 1[1]

Planting under Walnut trees?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Evasgarden
Posted: Mar/27/2008 12:46 PM PST

I've just found this forum and would love advice on plants to grow under my english walnut trees. The only plants that grow well so far are daylily and bleeding heart along with spring bulbs like grape hyacinth,daffodils and bluebells. Help a newbie out...please!
Thanks
Aurora blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2008 6:42 PM PST

I'll ask my mother-in-law, she has black walnuts.
I think she was complaining about the same thing, and mentioned that those same plants are the only ones that grow well. I'll see if she's found anymore that grow...
witt blog photos
Posted: May/01/2008 3:41 AM PST

It sounds like that's a wonderful plenty--"daylily and bleeding heart along with spring bulbs like grape hyacinth,daffodils and bluebells." I wish I could have all that with or without a tree.
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: May/22/2008 10:39 AM PST

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-021/430-021 .html

There is a list of plants at the link that are tolerant to that agent the walnut trees put out. Apparently, the juglone in the plants leaves, etc. stops a lot of plants from growing.
Fedupofweeds
Posted: May/26/2008 12:24 PM PST

I have a lage English Walnut tree as well, I have had tulips and those lillies I just chopped down grow well under it. I have recently planted or transplanted my Eucalyptus tree to jut half way under the walnut tree, seems so far, to be doing well. I have also planted Jerusalem artichokes and Giant sunflowers. Sunflowers are struggling, J . Artichokes are really getting tall I wil use this a a privacy border
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Aug/02/2008 5:25 PM PST

I've heard there's a lot of things that won't grow under walnut trees so what I'd do is plant just a few of a certain plant if I was unsure to see how they fare. My neighbor had a walnut tree and my dad put a swing in it for me when I was a kid. There was an ancient tractor under it, but I dont' think it grew there. The only thing that was growing around them was weedy stuff.
ingabinga95
Posted: Mar/08/2011 9:13 PM PST

A Hackberry tree will grow under a walnut tree.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account