Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Woodstove in Greenhouse

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
BMan blog photos
Posted: Mar/24/2008 7:19 PM PST

When we had our house built 10 years ago, we had the builder build a 24 X 36 greenhouse, essentially a stick built house with a bunch of sunlights and glass doors. It was very well insulated and a propane heater was more than adequate to keep it above 50 in the winter. Last year I added a double poly 20 X 20 hoop house on the end to provide more light for my orchids. The new house really sucks out the heat and heating by propane would be very expensive. I was thinking about installing a wood stove in the stick built greenhouse to provide heat since I have tons of free firewood. Has anyone been successful with heating with a wood stove? I'm a little concerned about smoke leakage from the wood stove and the effect on plants.

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/25/2008 9:02 PM PST

I don't know anything about wood stoves but your greenhouse is beautiful. Hope someone can help you soon.
mistygardener
Posted: Mar/28/2008 3:48 PM PST

WOW I am envious of your gorgeous green house! I am planning to convert our wood shop into a green house this year and wood is what we are planning to use as well, and are going to try to somehow vent it to my current one to heat it as well. I will be watching to see the responses that you receive here as well.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/29/2008 10:16 PM PST

I just read the following, thought you would want to read it too.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8 182

"A word of caution - woodburners consume a LOT of oxygen. They should be used only where there is adequate ventilation.

Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and a KILLER. It is a by-product of combustion when insufficient oxygen is present."
mistygardener
Posted: Mar/30/2008 7:13 AM PST

Interesting information about this, thanks!!!
emily
Posted: Mar/02/2009 4:24 PM PST

The greenhouse that I work at is in the process of putting a wood burning stove yes it is possible. The reason that they are putting one in is because it is more cost efficient to heat with wood than it is to heat with fuel. It will only be used during the cold nights so that the plants don't get too cold. There is a phone number on our website where I work, morelandfruitfarm.com.
JJohnson
Posted: Mar/03/2009 9:22 PM PST

It appears that most of this post is a year old. However, in the interest of other new comers, I have used a wood stove for the past two winters to heat my greenhouse without any problems other than a lot of work. The first thing one must determine is what type of wood stove will give the best service. Not all wood stoves function the same. Some of the more expensive stoves have temperature controls while others have to be manually controlled by trial and error. A regular heat/supply check of either type is necessary because not all wood burns at the same rate or same temperature. I use a box heater that requires a reload every 3-5 hours depending on the density of the wood and its moisture content. By adjusting the damper to "closed" with very little draft I can usually maintain an inside temperature between 50 & 70 degrees. I also have a vent near the top of the green house that automatically opens at 70 degrees. This vent helps prevent overheating. Anybody who has an available supply of wood, plenty of time, and doesn't mind losing some sleep can benefit from using a wood stove.
Stockford
Posted: Jun/30/2009 3:25 PM PST

Hi:

We live in North Carolina, and we have an 18x72 ft greenhouse with double insulated plastic covering. Do you think a woodstove would keep me around 55 to 65 at night in the winter?

Thanks......... Bob Stockford
BMan blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2009 4:36 PM PST

I did get my woodstove installed. It worked well; although, I should have put a larger one in. My small stove only lasts about 4 hours - I fill it up at Midnight and it'll only last until 4am, the coldest part of the night. I also have the double poly greenhouse. It loses heat pretty fast. It performed well when the temperatures stayed at freezing or above and I was able to keep the night time temperature above 55. When it got down to 10 for a few nights, the greenhouse got down to 37 a couple of times when I let the stove go out. I still only lost a couple of tender orchids, even with the low temperature. The Heliconia took the biggest beating. It's just now recovering, 7 months later.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account