Page 1 of 1[1]

Where did the finches go?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
gardenbug8 blog photos
Posted: Mar/20/2008 5:45 PM PST

For months and months, even in the cold and windy winter we were having, we had lots of finches coming to feed on the nyjer seeds we put out in the garden. Since a few days ago, they seem to go away. What happened to them, where did they go? Are they feeding somewhere else? Any ideas? We have lots of farms around the area and wildlife preserves. Only the hummingbirds are now coming back to feed.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Mar/20/2008 7:26 PM PST

I had American Goldfinch coming to the feeders a week or two ago and haven't seen them this week. I wonder if they are tending to the nests right now. They will be back though. The Rosy Finch are still with me though. Linda B
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2008 3:39 AM PST

I know where all the finches are ~ in MY yard. I have lots of them and they like the black oil seed as much as the thistle. They are not quite all the way yellowed up yet, but they are here.
Oh ~ they bluebirds are in their house again too.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2008 6:24 AM PST

In our experience, the finches (we see mostly house finches 'round here) come and go in waves, much the same way cedar waxwings do. Hard to say what makes them arrive, and even harder to guess which one was the first to say "Hey, guys, I think that feeder over yonder has tastier nyger seed!" This time of year in WI, I'll see a couple dozen feeding like there's no tomorrow, then a week later, can't spot one to beat the band.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Mar/21/2008 4:13 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyWee
I know where all the finches are ~ in MY yard. I have lots of them and they like the black oil seed as much as the thistle. They are not quite all the way yellowed up yet, but they are here.
Oh ~ they bluebirds are in their house again too.

All the finches have been on the regular feeders this year, and I bet it is the black oil seed, they do go to the thistle but not as much.
LB
ANTHONY blog photos
Posted: Mar/29/2008 3:02 PM PST

Hi
Over here in U.K we have had a load of Finches on our feeders this winter,why i dont know we have blue tits and Blackbirds too.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account