Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
garden98011 blog photos
Posted: Mar/09/2008 3:32 PM PST

It's on the tree of my cover picture~Andrea
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/11/2008 11:11 AM PST

Is that one with the big leaves maybe 3 lobed? what color is the flower itself its like I know this cause I know I researched it a few years ago. Just remind what color please!! my brain takes these trips and doesn't wanna come back LOL
Nice retreat..

Carol
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/11/2008 11:14 AM PST

I would love to grow this too someday if I find seeds of it
that is. I love the way the petals are ruffled but so
different then the Blue singles..

Give me your Opinions !

Carol

Attachments:

Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/12/2008 10:51 AM PST

I got 3 of the 9 trayed vine seed to germinate in my bathroom I use it to get some hard to germinate seeds to grow. Clitoria single blue is the one in the bathroom...I also just got 3 seeds of Vigna Caracalla I managed to get 2 of them to germinate in the bathroom as well... wish me luck on these first time for me to ever grow!!!

Carol
SpringChicken photos
Posted: Mar/14/2008 8:15 PM PST

Dizzy45vines,
As you seem to be the reigning "Vine Queen" of GG, I need some advice....I have some morning glory seeds to plant (Clarke's Heavenly Blue). In years past, I have had absolutely NO luck with them. I was wondering if I should plant them directly in the ground or start them inside. Also, what kind of soil do they prefer? I would like to train them to grown up my light post in my yard and also up a few trees if possible. Will this work? Thanks! SpringChicken
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2008 11:29 AM PST

Hi there Springchicken,
Most MG's are pretty easy to grow word of thumb I use is the brighter the color the more sun they like. As soon as the ground unfreezes you can plant your morning glory seed, at least I do. Or if in a hotter zone You can always pot them up and give a trellising. They are not too picky about soil except with clay soils I would amend the soil. Mine get full sun with no problems I grow the Miniature blue for example for 25 years now, I do gather seed at the end of the year but I always have a few seeds that do come back every year..

I am by no means an expert of any kind so if anyone else is reading this just chime right in. I did find without having previous knowledge to what I was growing all it said was Red feathered morning glory I put it in the soil at spring time like always waiting impatiently and then late October it bloomed really nice but it only had time to set 6 seeds for me.. so this year with good advice I will start in pots and then set out or just leave in the pots. So it needs because it is more of a tropical type morning glory to start it 6 weeks before our last frost. so this year we shall see how I do LOL

Carol

Attachments:

Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2008 11:37 AM PST

Forgot to answer about them growing up stuff LOL
Tree's are hard to do but if you give them some
training I had that idea years ago but could not
get them to go up that dang tree they wanted to stay
and grow at the base of the tree's so my husband
got some fish netting and we tacked them into the
tree's they grew up that just fine maybe if you work
the vines into the bark it might work for you and it
depends on the kind of tree as well I was trying to use
a red pine tree, and around lightposts or mailboxes are nice
but they can become a problem if you don't prune them back so
they don't take over . Light posts are a metal or aluminum
or slick wood so Morning glories need something they can grab
onto while climbing. So it would depend what kind of post for the light
and if they can tendril up it.

Good luck and I think the trick is planting
directly and planting early..

Carol
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2008 1:00 PM PST

I just bought a pack of MGs. I got a rogue seed of Flying Saucers in my pink/purple mix last year and had to look it up to ID it. What I bought today is also called Flying Saucers but it says it's a purple and white flower. What I had last year was blue and white. So what is FS--blue or purple?
garden98011 blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2008 10:03 PM PST

Hi Carol, Sorry for the delayed post, the flowers are white and ready to burst any day. They are fragrant as well-double bonus!~Andrea
Dizzy45vines blog photos
Posted: Mar/17/2008 12:38 PM PST

'Flying Saucers' is a stunning mutation of 'Pearly Gates' most times the color is blue and white striped. Sometimes you can have both colors on the same vine your standard color blue and white striped and also a more white color with light blue stripes..But because of the hybridation that goes on you can have a purple and white striped one as well. and sometimes what they call blue is not an actual blue but a purple. Like on your packet. I know I know its frustrating out there I wish they would make up our minds!! Please grow it take pictures of your package and then of your Flying Saucers when in bloom then let us know too!

This is a classic, justifiably popular variety of Morning Glory bearing large, you’ve guessed it, saucer-like blooms beautifully decorated with thick and thin, purple-blue stripes. Sometimes you will get some strange variation out of the same seed pack and on the same vine.

Carol
Page 2 of 23 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account