Poll

Which mail order nursery or seed catalog have you had the best experiences with?
Blooming Bulb

0.00%0
Dutch Gardens

10.00%3
Greenwood Nursery

0.00%0
Gurney's

20.00%6
Michigan Bulb

10.00%3
Nature Hills Nursery

3.33%1
Nouse Farms

0.00%0
Park Seed

40.00%12
Raintree Nursery

3.33%1
Thompson and Morgan Seeds

13.33%4
Page 1 of 4[123 Last

Which mail order nursery or seed catalog have you had the best experiences with?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
CarolineC blog photos
Posted: Jan/11/2008 6:40 AM PST

Please explain, if you feel so inclined. -- quality of plants at arrival and thereafter, cost, customer service, shipped at correct times, etc. If I've missed any, please feel free to mention them.

I selected Thompson and Morgan, because, as of now, they're the only ones I've had any actual experience with. So far so good, though. They ran out of some of the seed that I ordered and so gave me a credit. They had some seeds backordered which I'm still waiting for, but shipped the rest promptly. They're overpriced, but have thus far offered "discounts" to make up the difference. They offer a variety of seeds, many of which cannot be easily found elsewhere.

I'm seriously considering ordering something from Gurney's and/or Michigan Bulb this year. Raintree looks wonderful, though is soooo expensive, especially with shipping, though I'd recommend the catalog to anyone just for inspiration and information alone. I'm planning on ordering blueberry bushes from a family farm Boston Mountain Nurseries, and have tossed around the idea of getting fruit plants from another family farm Simmons plant farm. I didn't include them because they don't have catalogs. I guess that's one way they keep prices so low. Also, they're so specialized and obscure, I figured that most gardeners haven't ordered from them.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Jan/11/2008 7:10 AM PST

I voted for Michigan Bulb but it really is a tie between them and Dutch Gardens. I have had good luck with both. The bulbs came up and the plants grew. They were very small plants, but all survived and grew and came back the next year. I have not tried any other mail order companies.
CarolineC blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2008 5:22 AM PST

Thanks, bensmom, and the anonymous person who also took the poll. Anybody else???
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2008 9:16 AM PST

I've only bought bulbs via mail order--Brent and Becky's Bulbs. I was very happy with the quality and selection. I happen to live in the heart of the nursery industry so I can buy plants direct from the growers, and I don't grow from seed much.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2008 10:34 AM PST

I am voting for ParkSeed because I've ordered from them for years now and never been disappointed. Another gardener pal I know from SC lives near enough to visit ParkSeed in person at least once a year and he highly recommends them. He's never steered me wrong yet!
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Jan/12/2008 6:26 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyWee
I am voting for ParkSeed because I've ordered from them for years now and never been disappointed. Another gardener pal I know from SC lives near enough to visit ParkSeed in person at least once a year and he highly recommends them. He's never steered me wrong yet!

Park seed is a great place, KeeWee and they hold a Master Gardender Day just before they have their big open house. This year was my first year but it won't be my last. Take trip down to see us in the spring. I also like The Dutch Bulb site. http://www.dutchbulbs.com
Linda B
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jan/13/2008 5:00 AM PST

I would LOVE to come for that, Linda! My other gardener buddy that I mentioned lives in Union. We have never actually met but I feel like we are pals after "talking" and trading over the net for more than five years. When is this MG event?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Jan/13/2008 11:32 AM PST

The one I went to was June 22, the date is always a Friday for MG's but I understand their regular open house day is great as well. It is on that Saturday. My DH and I went together and he is not good on his feet for very long so I didn't do as much as I would have without him.

I will make a note and let you know when we get information this year. Linda B

Here are a few pix I took this past June at Park Seeds MG Day.

Attachments:

KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jan/14/2008 4:42 AM PST

OMG ~ thanks for the pictures ~ they made my day!! Just to look at something like that gets me in the mood.
Tam-Tam blog photos
Posted: Jan/14/2008 9:44 AM PST

Wow! Great pictures Linda! If you get to go this year please post lots of pictures.
Page 1 of 4[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account