Page 1 of 1[1]

Germinate Strawberry Seeds

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
wishingtree blog photos
Posted: Dec/21/2007 11:09 AM PST

Hi everyone!

I truely enjoy reading the exchanges on this forum. Gardening is my new found hobby and I believe there's a lot for me to learn from you. I'll be grateful if you could guide me along.

Here in Singapore we get summer all year round. I'm trying to grow some strawberries organically as I gathered that they taste better when fully ripe on the plant. The ones we get from supermarts here are likely to be harvested very much early in advance before the fruit developed it's true taste. It's a great dismay most Singaporeans would tell you that strawberries taste 'tarty', 'acidic' and 'bland', needless to say the scent is faint.

I bought some seeds via internet, the varieties are Fresca, Yellow Wonder Alpine, Temptations and Mignonette. Boy! Am I excited, though I knew that they a tough and erratic, especially to break the dormancy.

Has anyone here attempted successfully in germinating strawberry seeds? I know they require 'cold treatment'. How long should I leave them in the freezer? Information I sourced differs: 4weeks, some indicated 4months.

Do they need light to germinate? The instruction of some varieties I bought differs: some stated that they requires light, while others stated that no direct sunlight and cover with newspaper. I did my research from the internet and most indicated that light is essential for germination. I'm so confused.

Thereafter, how long is the duration to the 1st sprout?

Thank you in advance if you could share your experience and enlighten me on the above.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Dec/31/2007 4:51 AM PST

wishingtree, as far as I can tell, the cold germination will work at only 4 weeks, but I'd actually shoot for the recommended four months, as that will mimic an actual winter more closely...the seeds my friend started took forever to come up, and I think the lack of time in deep freeze may have had something to do with it. We were wondering if they'd ever germinate, it took them so long! She did cover them lightly with soil, just so you couldn't see the seeds anymore. If you have a camera, please post pictures as your project progresses?
wishingtree blog photos
Posted: Dec/31/2007 7:05 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by mbvirtue
wishingtree, as far as I can tell, the cold germination will work at only 4 weeks, but I'd actually shoot for the recommended four months, as that will mimic an actual winter more closely...the seeds my friend started took forever to come up, and I think the lack of time in deep freeze may have had something to do with it. We were wondering if they'd ever germinate, it took them so long! She did cover them lightly with soil, just so you couldn't see the seeds anymore. If you have a camera, please post pictures as your project progresses?

Hi Mbvirture,

Ok, I think I'll put more seeds in the freezer, since I'd probably extend the cold germination period to 4mths. It's worth the wait if most of them would come up. I gathered the info from http://www.ipgri.cgiar.org/publications/HTMLPublic ations/52/ch47.htm#CHAPTER%2062.%20ROSACEAE

Yes, I'll document the progress of my project with pictures on this thread. I'm planning to add used ground coffee to the potting mix for the strawberries to increase the acidity level in the soil.

I did an experiment, or in fact 2:

1) Frozen a strawberry fruit in the freezer for 4wks and planted it in a small pot. It's like 1-2wks the entire strawberry flesh decomposed completely. The soil didn't reveal the hollowness until I dug...hahaha(lol). I've been waiting for 2 wks or coming 3wks and still no sight of a sprouting seedling. Hopefully, the seaweed solution and some epsom salt will help. We'll see.

2) I found a slightly turning mouldy strawberry in my veg compartment in the fridge and plonk it in the planter that was occupied by other plants. It's about 2wks and I found a little seedling, but can't be sure if that's a strawberry. I dug for its remains and it too has completely decomposed, though I did find some seeds in the soil. I've transfered the little fella into a small container to monitor and leave the rest as it is.

I think I read something like the seeds from fresh strawberries are easier to break dormancy than those pkt seeds.

Eventually, did your strawberry seeds germinate?
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jan/01/2008 9:44 AM PST

They did all eventually germinate, but it took about as long as the avacado seed I just started in September. Silly thing didn't come up 'til almost two months after I planted it! So patience seems to be the key to getting these little buggars growing...either that, or forget they're there, as I've done in my garden outside quite often.
wishingtree blog photos
Posted: Jan/04/2008 1:21 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by mbvirtue
They did all eventually germinate, but it took about as long as the avacado seed I just started in September. Silly thing didn't come up 'til almost two months after I planted it! So patience seems to be the key to getting these little buggars growing...either that, or forget they're there, as I've done in my garden outside quite often.

Hi Mbvirtue,

I read that Avocado from seed will take about 8-12 yrs to bear fruit, http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/pers_ame.cfm . These days, I'm exploring into Lavenders while waiting for the strawberries to sprout.

The 1st batch of Strawberry Temptation seeds which I sowed 1 month ago didn't show any sign and I dumped the whole thing into my planter box with a few growing plants, Gingers and Pomegranate. So if anything should sprout there, probably could one of those little 'slow coaches'....hahaha

Did your little buggars grow well and bear fruit for you?
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jan/04/2008 3:06 AM PST

Honestly, not as well as the runners I'd bought as a hedge against failure, but the fruit was very similar to wild strawberries, very small but with intense flavor.
wishingtree blog photos
Posted: Jan/06/2008 5:54 PM PST

Hi Mbvirture,

Strawberry plants are rare in S'pore. I guess I could only make do with it. The price of shipping plugs may be quite costly, I think.

Oh yes, I mentioned the seedling which I'm not sure if it's a weed or strawberry... well it's dead. Luckily, another appear on the same spot that I plonk the slightly mouldy strawberry. Let's hope I don't kill this one. :P
punkrocker11413
Posted: Dec/03/2011 11:02 AM PST

I recently tried growing strawberry plants from seeds collected from store-bought fruit. It's been 2 weeks since I planted and no sprouts yet.

Read my blog at lysasgarden.blogspot.com to find out more about my strawberry experiences.
ElinKhoo
Posted: Dec/29/2012 10:29 PM PST

Hi!

I am from Singapore too I am into planting korean strawberry seeds from the actual fruit itself and it has been almost to a month since I did so.

After digging out the seeds from the fruit, I left it on a wet paper towel for about 2 days, under slight sunlight, before I start putting them in soil and cover it lightly. I started near december, end november with lots of rain. I waited for about a month and recently a few of them(4) sprouted and the stronger seedling has currently 1 tiny leaf besides the seedling leaves. The rest(3) is still at its seedling leaves stage. The rest, probably the seeds are still too young to be planted. :]

The key is to not think about when will it sprout, but consistently watering them as needed. It will surprise you one fine day Just to add on, I did not give my korean strawberry seeds any sort of "cold treatment" before planting them in soil. I just left the seeds on a wet paper towel after digging them out from the fruit itself, thats all. This is my first time planting strawberries and such result really makes me all excited (lol). Lets hope my strawberries continue to grow and eventually bear me some fruits of labour!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account