Page 1 of 1[1]

GROWING LAVENDER INDOORS

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
gogiana
Posted: Dec/02/2007 8:04 AM PST

I love lavender- I can't bring myself to leave it outside in the winter- they often don't make it. The problem is, inside, they slowly get dry and brown in the leaves-from the bottom up. I would love some ideas for helping them flourish indoors.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Dec/09/2007 6:07 PM PST

Full sun & good soil drainage are said to be the two musts for growing lavender.
In a container they will need space for the spreading habit. If you keep it in a container hopefully you have the smaller growing type they do best in containers. You should avoid over-watering lavender and in the winter you should water less. I think I read that you should use sand or gravel in the bottom of the pot to allow better drainage and change the pot annually I think that is for the roots lavender likes to spread out. Not to much room just enough. I am growing lavender for the first time this year and I am hoping that mine survives also. I live in East Tx and I am leaving mine outside because it is big I am also testing to see what it can do it is planted properly and should have some good roots by now. If you use fertilizer they recommend a slow release one. Most of the time they say not to fertilize. Hope this helps.
justme photos
Posted: Dec/14/2007 12:19 PM PST

good luck with your lavender..gogiana and welcome to GG from Michigan
dimona photos
Posted: Jan/29/2008 2:36 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by gogiana
I love lavender- I can't bring myself to leave it outside in the winter- they often don't make it. The problem is, inside, they slowly get dry and brown in the leaves-from the bottom up. I would love some ideas for helping them flourish indoors.

Hi! I live in Zone 6 and I leave my lavendar out all year long. I have several raised beds with nothing but lavendar, we make a LOT of sachets (keeps the spiders out-) We get temps way below freezing and I have never lost a plant. But, I believe it was Ron's Garden that told me years ago to not prune it back in the fall. Since then I have left all my plants intact through the winter. As far as bringing it indoors, I have never been able to keep anything alive inside my house, besides the kids, and they keep coming back.
If you do a heavy heavy mulch on them, you shouldn't have a problem with leaving them outdoors. My grandmother lives in Wallingford, Ct and she keeps hers outside all year as well.
But to be honest with you, the only plants that really thrive around my place are ones that do not need a lot of attention. We grow 90% of our food, so I'm more comfortable with herbs and such.
Good Luck
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jan/29/2008 3:25 PM PST

The best idea I have for indoors is to get a tray about 6 inches larger than your pot and about 4 inches deep. Fill it with pea gravel and set the pot on top. Do NOT work it down into the pea gravel. Now fill the tray with water just to the bottom of the top rocks. Does that make sense? This will give the plant a more humid envirenment which is often lacking idoors (especially when the furnace is running) but not allow it to sit in water which will rot the roots.
dimona photos
Posted: Jan/31/2008 12:18 PM PST

Now that is an excellent idea!! Thanks MamaBear!!
Basilette photos
Posted: Mar/20/2008 2:05 PM PST

gogiana, I kept my tender French lavender indoors from November - March and put it under a full-spectrum flourescent light for 4-6 hours a day. It was VERY happy, and it's starting the spring with lots of nice, bushy growth. As lavenders like it dry, the dryness of indoor air didn't seem to bother it, and I didn't have to water much more than I would the rest of the year. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account