Page 1 of 1[1]

my tulips :(

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Deirdre blog photos
Posted: Nov/23/2007 5:44 PM PST

Ok so apparently my tulips won't get here until end of December!

I didn't think it would take that long to get them. Is that too late to plant them??

I finished preparing my flower bed, I tilled it, added some gypsum stuff and some compost. I think I could have added more compost. I guess I have time now to add some more compost. I added 2cu ft but I don't think that was enough for a 6ftx12ft bed.

Thoughts?
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Nov/23/2007 7:42 PM PST

As long as you can work the soil, you can plant them. Just have your holes ready to go before you take the bulbs out to plant and get them covered as soon as you can.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Nov/25/2007 6:20 AM PST

Hey, Deirdre, your first frost isn't usually until Nov. 4th, (zone 7 I think) so your ground shouldn't be frozen until after the end of December. In fact, many mail order places will purposely hold your bulbs 'till they're sure they won't sprout en route... I'm in zone 5, with a first frost date of Sept. 15th, and we could still dig in the ground two months later. Snowfall/snowcover will tend to speed up that time table, as well. I've planted bulbs as late as November 15th, which is a full two months after the first frost. Actually the bulbs I planted then didn't get bothered as much by the squirrels, who have generally finished their annual "let's dig up all of her poor tulips bulbs, they taste so good" rampage by then! You also wouldn't want the bulbs to start growing, so it's really better to wait so they won't be tempted. If the ground is still at all warm, the poor things will think it's time to sprout!
Jules photos
Posted: Nov/25/2007 8:20 AM PST

Yes - if the soil is workable, pop them in ASAP. I too ahve planted bulbs as late as the end of November in a zone 5 and they have produced in the spring...then again, I have planted bulbs earlier and they haven't grown in the spring...all a hit and miss job! Ahh spring - the thought of it makes me anxious!
Deirdre blog photos
Posted: Nov/25/2007 12:37 PM PST

Ok so I'll stop freaking out...hehehe

I added 2cubic ft of compost but I need more. How much more would you add? The bed is 6x12ft.
bussete1 blog photos
Posted: Jan/26/2008 10:55 AM PST

I have another tulip question. I've had my tulips planted for about three years now. They do very nicely every year, but I've never broken up the bulbs. How often should I do that?
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Jan/28/2008 8:55 AM PST

I have some tulips that are about 3 yrs old. I am going to mark them and dig them and seperate in the fall.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account