Page 1 of 1[1]

Lawn weed, purple flower, Identification?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Jerzyshore photos
Posted: Oct/08/2007 5:51 PM PST

Does anyone know what this is, and what, if anything, I can do about it?

It's very pretty, and in some Alpine meadow I would no doubt love it. But right now it is completely overrunning my back yard.

I have a rather clay-ey soil. Usually either too wet or too dry. Right now (Oct 8) it is unseasonably hot and dry. Like baked hardpan. I have SOME grass, but I'd like to have something that approaches a normal lawn!

Idea?

Jerry

Attachments:

spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Oct/08/2007 8:53 PM PST

Hi Jerzyshore,

It's hard to get a sense of the scale of the plants involved, but from what I can see, it looks like Pensylvania smartweed. It's considered a weed by most. I've never seen so much at once. I had a bunch of it at my place, and I've been aggressive about dealing with it this year. You could use a weed killer on it, but I found that just physically pulling it up when I see it has made a big difference. Just make sure you pull it before the seed sets and drops, or you'll have the same problem next year. Mowing it should also keep it under it control as well.

I would say mow it short, overseed with your desired grass seed, and you should be all set as far as this weed goes.

Regards,

Robert
Jerzyshore photos
Posted: Oct/08/2007 9:27 PM PST

THANKS!

It's small, low to the ground, as the pic is a closeup. Actually, If I grab onto it I can get some pretty long sections, so potentially, it could be rather tall I suppose. It's in the lawn so it gets cut all the time.

I think I'll cut it short, aerate, overseed, and do a rain dance!

JG
dimona photos
Posted: Feb/05/2008 5:09 PM PST

Hi!
I also have a plant that grows along my fence line and our pond that looks exactly like that but I have both pink & white flowers on different plants. Our conservation department said it was polygonum hydropiperoids or mild water pepper. We live in southwest Missouri.
I hope you have found your answer.
Good Luck
Dimona
truthlinker
Posted: Nov/30/2014 6:18 AM PST

"Not in my backyard, you don't! Put the damn menace in the Alpines!"
or: "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered." - Emerson
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account