Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Dragon fruit tree's

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/04/2007 2:46 PM PST

They are tree's so I will ask here...anybody ever grow them? I saved seed, local, organic so I have no doubt they are viable...all nice and dry...saying 'Cold Stratify Me!!!'.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Oct/06/2007 10:10 AM PST

Me! I have a bunch of seedlings, more than I can handle, actually. They look more like a cactus than a typical "tree". In fact, the ones I have look more like the ones shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pitaya_bonsai.j pg

I'd offer to send you some seeds, but you already have some. :-) I got mine from dried dragonfruit slices at Trader Joe's. If you would like, I could tell you what I did to help them germinate, what I would do differently if I do it again, etc. I didn't stratify them, btw. Here are a couple of pics of my plants that are about a year old. Unfortunately, I can't give them as much light as they would like and they are getting a little leggy.

Attachments:

RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/09/2007 10:54 AM PST

Wow...must grow...neat 'Tree's'...yes yes tell me more! I have them dried so I could get on growing them right now!!!
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Oct/14/2007 8:22 PM PST

Hi Rachel,

I had to first separate the seeds from the pulp of the dried slices of fruit, but it doesn't sound like you have to do that, so I'll skip that part. Let it suffice to say that I soaked the seeds for over a week, almost two weeks in fact. I'll assume that you have seeds with no pulp attached.

I had read about this technique somewhere, so I tried it.

Once I had all of the seeds separated from the pulp, I laid them out between two layers of moist paper towel, put them in a plastic bag and kept them warm. I got almost 100% germination, so keep that in mind. If you try this technique, make sure that you spread out the seeds - keep plenty of distance between them, because once they germinated, the roots grew immediately into the paper towel. You won't want to pull them out of the paper towel because you'll break the roots off the seeds. I just cut the paper towel around the seeds and planted each seed, paper towel and all, into a pot. I had left the seeds MUCH too close together and it was a pain in the @$$ to cut the seeds apart without damaging them and trying to get everything done before the roots dried out. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough pots at the time I felt I had to do this and I put a dozen or so seeds into each pot. Bad idea! As you can see from my pics, they sort of all grew together into a clump and now I think I'm going to have to kill a bunch in order to get a few good "specimens. (I shouldn't worry about it, but it seems like such a waste to me.)

So, if I were to do it again, although the method I used resulted in near 100% germination, I would probably just soak the seeds for a couple of days and try putting one seed into each cell of a starter flat with some soil-less mix. I'm sorry if that seems anticlimactic, but the paper towel method really was a pain. Again, if you decide to try it, just make sure that you leave plenty of space for each seed on the paper towel.

Good luck, and post pics.

Regards,

Robert
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/17/2007 3:18 PM PST

Hehe, I am trying the simple way. I have a few *ahem 1000's* of small pots so I put some soil in, soaked them well, and just sowed some of them. They are all well dried so I bagged the rest and will see how this goes. They are on my kitchen window sill so great temp, perfect filtered sun, and lots of humidity! I looked lat night and the seeds are swelling a bit so I bet they are going to grow soon! I hope, lol.
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/17/2007 3:25 PM PST

They are tasty and growing them at home would be SO much cheaper, haha
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Oct/20/2007 9:14 PM PST

Rachel and/or Ron,

Do you have the dragon fruit with the red or white flesh? The seeds I have are from the red fleshed variety, but the white fleshed variety is supposed to taste even better.

Thanks,

Robert
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/22/2007 3:38 PM PST

I have the pinky red....and SEEDLINGS!!!!

Searched them up, they like to climb so I will figure a good spot for them And plenty to give away

Attachments:

RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/22/2007 3:43 PM PST

Oh, Spice? Go to my latest blog posts and I have some links that can take you to the seed for the white fleshed variety!
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Oct/30/2007 11:11 AM PST

New pics!

Attachments:

Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account