Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How to pull seeds from Datura?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Sep/25/2007 1:25 PM PST

I have tried to figure this out can someone please advise?
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/25/2007 6:01 PM PST

Datura ~ trumpet vine, right? After the flowers fade you should have large seed pods with spikes on them. Once these have dried, they will split open and yield tons of seeds. If you dead-headed the flowers, seed pods won't form.
Spiceoflife (datura person) ~ where are ya??! Am I right on this?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/25/2007 6:32 PM PST

Brugmansia family. Step sister to the Angel Trumpet. Yes the Datura (or Devils Trumpet) will make big seed pods. Wait for them to get fully brown and dry before you pick them. They will reseed very easily and come up next year all over the place. Beautiful is all that saves them from being a noxious weed in my book. And they smell good too.
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Sep/26/2007 5:43 AM PST

Thanks so much. I thought I had blooms that had faded and were old enough to pull but all the old ones I pulled had nothing in them. Maybe I waited to late for the ones I looked at. I'll try again thanks!
CarolineC blog photos
Posted: Sep/26/2007 9:14 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by yardgranny6
Brugmansia family. Step sister to the Angel Trumpet. Yes the Datura (or Devils Trumpet) will make big seed pods. Wait for them to get fully brown and dry before you pick them. They will reseed very easily and come up next year all over the place. Beautiful is all that saves them from being a noxious weed in my book. And they smell good too.

Oh nooo!!! SpiceOfLife was kind enough to offer Datura seeds which I requested because they looked so pretty. I had no idea that Datura were related to trumpet vine. I've read so many stories about trumpet vine taking over and being impossible to remove. I had decided to never ever get trumpet vine. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't take over the whole place.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Sep/26/2007 9:59 AM PST

Hi all,

Just a little clarification. The devils or angels trumpet, datura and the brugmansia, are not the "trumpet vines." These are different plants.

From wikipedia:
The Trumpet vine or Trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans), also known as "Cow itch vine," is a large and vigorous woody vine of the family Bignoniaceae, notable for its showy trumpet-shaped flowers. It is native to woodlands of the southeastern United States, but is a popular garden perennial plant across much of the country as some cultivars are hardy to as low as -30°F/-34°C.

Also from wikipedia:
Datura is a woody-stalked, leafy herb growing up to 2 meters. It produces spiney seed pods and large white or purple trumpet-shaped flowers that face upward. Most parts of the plant contain atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. It has a long history of use both in S. America and Europe and is known for causing delerious states and poisonings in uninformed users. Common names include jimson weed, Hell's Bells, Devil's weed, Devil's cucumber, thorn-apple (from the spiny fruit), pricklyburr (similarly), and somewhat paradoxically, both angel's trumpet and devil's trumpet (from their large trumpet-shaped flowers), or as Nathaniel Hawthorne refers to it in the the Scarlet Letter apple-peru. The word Datura comes from Hindi dhatura (thorn apple); record of this name dates back only to 1662 (OED). The Hindi derives this word from Sanskrit vedic literature that dates to long before 2000 BC

So feel free to plant away. :-)

At the end of the season when the seed pods are ready, the nights are starting to cool off, so I remove the pods from the plant as soon as they split. If I don't then they tend to get moldy. I remove the seedpods from the plant, bring them inside, remove the rest of the outside of the pods and let them dry. They dry a lot quicker this way without molding.

Enjoy!
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/26/2007 3:21 PM PST

Thank you so much spice, for clearing that up, I meant to clarify that the Datura was not a vine. Linda B
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/27/2007 4:17 AM PST

I guess the confusion here is between datura and brugmansia (two different yet similar plants) and I have been guilty of it myself. So I googled (because I can) and found www.abads.net which is the American Brugmansia and Datura Society. It appears that many people are passionate about these plants. So ..... datura is an herbaceous annual (self-seeding, of course) and brugmansia a perennial shrub (well, not in MY zone). The flowers are similar although some hang down and some face upright. All I can say is that mine (now I know it is a white datura) presents as a vine if the growing season is long enough. One of my gardening buds has the "Black Current" (spelling of second word intentional) and I know now that it is a brugmansia with purple and white double flowers.
I had a good time looking this up and I feel smarter already. It was fun reading all the Q&A ~ especially the one from the person who tried eating the seeds and then said he didn't recommend it for everyone ~ helloooo!!??? Time on your hands?
sweetpea128
Posted: May/17/2008 6:52 PM PST

Oh, no, I pulled the only two seed pods off of my trumpet plant BEFORE they dried up and turned brown. They had just started to shrivel up and not so green. Can I still use them after I picked them and they dry up?
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: May/18/2008 4:23 AM PST

Welcome, sweetpea! Well it depends upon how mature the pods were when you picked them. Let's just say you could try. If the seeds were too green and not viable, they won't germinate.
Maybe someone around here still has seeds saved ~ those pods make a LOT of seeds!
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account