Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Night Blooming Cereus

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 1:29 PM PST

Anyone out there have this plant? A friend is giving me a pretty big one. He is tired of it. I am going to share it with a friend or two that have greenhouses as it is supposed to be easy to root. We will also try to grow them for our Master Gardeners Spring Workshop.

Any tips for overwintering indoors?? What I see on the web is that the blooms are wonderful to watch open and are fragrant. Will it bloom indoors when I bring it inside? Waiting to Learn. Linda B from SC

Attachments:

KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 2:18 PM PST

Boy ~ wish I had a friend that got bored with plants like that. What does he have that "un-bores" him?
I found a page for this plant on Davesgarden and it is hardy only to Z11, so unless you can say that it will never get below 40 degrees in your area, you got yourself a houseplant for the winter. It also said that it can be propagated by leaf or root cuttings, but that the flowers are sterile and will not set seed.
Will it bloom indoors in winter? Depends on how happy you can make it, but I think maybe not. It is also suggested not to overwater ~ cactus family.
It is a beautiful plant ~ hope you can learn more!
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 5:19 PM PST

I just talked to my friend about this plant. It was a cutting from an Aunt's plant back in 1989. Imagine that. They have had up to 9 blossoms a couple of times. It is about 3 feet high and wide.

She told me that this plant has three buds on it and I hope I can get it home intact and that it won't go into shock from going from one yard to the other. If it does take the move well, I hope to get my grandchildren to visit when it begins to bloom. Seems it takes about 3 hours or so to bloom fully. And yes it has to spend the winter inside. Now I really wish I had a greenhouse.

How exciting a plant! I am going to be happy to share a little of it with my friends that have greenhouses. It takes a long time for them to get big enough to make blooms. Linda B
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/11/2007 5:01 PM PST

I have looked at Dave's Garden website and there is tons of info on this plant. I am eager to see it bloom unless the trip in the back of the pickup truck shocked it too much. Looks happy today though. I am trying to think of the best place to overwinter it. It is really big and floppy. Likes to be rootbound but the pot is not heavy enough to keep the plant from falling over. So after it blooms it's four maybe five buds I will get my neighbor Judy to help me put it in a heavier, but not too much bigger pot. It will take precedence over all the other plants in the house and be quite a spectacle. Thank goodness it doesn't need too much care. My house plants are on their own a lot during the winter. Don't ask me why, I guess it is because I just really prefer to garden out of doors. There will be pictures and much conversation over this little fellow. LB
XiaoYu blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2007 3:53 AM PST

So amazing!I've seen some night-blooming cereus,but only see several flowers each time.But there so many in the first pictures.I didn't realize it was night-blooming cereus at the first glance.I've heard that it is easy to keep and you can reproduce it with it's leaves.
Sunny photos
Posted: Sep/12/2007 4:31 AM PST

Beautiful Linda !! I never seen that version off Queen of the night, maybe it's the new variety ?? I also never seen them in hanging basket before! Just like I said B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L !

Maybe my Queen of the night is the old version ~ Here it is :...

Attachments:

yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2007 2:27 PM PST

Can't be a new version as this plant alone was propagated in 1989 from a plant that was already many years old. On dave's garden website there are comments that might indicate one of this species as being smaller with smaller blossoms.
So far so good. My new baby sure needs a bigger pot and more support. It is so heavily leafed it wants to fall over. LB
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/17/2007 6:06 PM PST

I am waiting eagerly for my tropical Cereus to bloom. There are two buds just about to open. I brought in inside tonight because I was afraid it would bloom before I could see them. It should be tomorrow night or the next, but they are really 'pregnant' buds.
Jayney
Posted: Sep/20/2007 6:59 AM PST

Hello My Plant flowered for the first time this year. I was given a leaf cutting 2 years ago by an elderly relative who said it is unlucky to buy one. My plant is kept in my porch, which is single brick enclosed with roof so adequately warm all year round. I think you should not repot until the pot is full of root with root hanging out at the bottom, and then only into a pot one or at the most 2 sizes bigger. Water reasonably in the growing time but sparingly, if at all in the winter. Feed in Spring. Lovely plant in the picture I hope I can train mine to a similar style but its already around 3 feet tall! Thank you for showing it and I attach samples of mine in the flowering process. it took around 3 weeks from the first picture to the last, but the last 3 pictures took only around 12 hours to complete. Jayney

Attachments:

yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/20/2007 1:15 PM PST

The pictures I posted in my original post were from the internet. Do wish I had the smaller version that fits in a hanging pot. I did meet some Master Gardener friends this week that have this plant and they all love it.

OH I just can't wait to see this happen. The buds are getting bigger by the hour. Each day I look to see the 'white of its bud' and then I start calling all my friends to come watch the miracle unfold.

Jayney, thanks for the good info. I am always open to ways to keep this ole fellow happy. Look for more photos on my blog page. The biggest bloom (there are three, two almost the same size) looks like your picture of the bud curled up to resemble a pipe. So exciting.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account