Page 1 of 1[1]

Winter Care for Daylillies and Asiatic lillies

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Kittyfang blog photos
Posted: Sep/07/2007 8:07 AM PST

I have two different kind of daylillies. A bush of orange daylilles and 4 yellow days lilles (as well as 3 asiatic lillies), potted.

I use the word "bush" for the orange kind because there are some many of them in the same area that it looks like a small schrub.

As for the yellow kind, they are in two pots and doing quite well, if they survive the winter, they will be planted permenantly outside, so will the asiatic lillies.

I am wondering what kind of care I should give them before winter. I have read something about cutting them down to within 2 inches from the ground. The person doing this did so while the plant was still green (but without any flowers). Any opinions would be much welcome.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Sep/07/2007 9:01 AM PST

I would think lilies would be pretty hardy in Ohio. Planting them in the ground should not be a problem. Since you do get some pretty cold weather and maybe ground freezing you might put a deep cover of mulch over them when you plant. As for the tops, if they are browning now, cutting them off is no problem. And when you do put them in the ground go ahead and cut the tops off maybe 3/4 inches above the bulb. The lily uses the leaves to fuel the bulb, so if they are brown the leaves have done their job already. Good luck. LB
Kittyfang blog photos
Posted: Sep/07/2007 9:12 AM PST

Thank you very much for the info. I still don't know where I will plant them. I haven't started preparing the soil... Or researching HOW to prepare the soil, but I will start looking into it.

I'm a very new gardener, so it's very overwhelming.
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: Sep/07/2007 7:19 PM PST

I would think that Ohio is not much different than Illinois..and my daylilies and asiatic or orientals all winter over just fine. I do mulch them, but basically treat them just like very other perennial. The brown leaves can be cut back, some daylilies are evergreen, so if yours stay green all winter, not to worry. The others might die back and that is ok too. I will probably put some 10-10-10 on my flower beds before too long, want to get a few rainy days going first. Lilies are wonderful!
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Sep/08/2007 4:49 AM PST

Lilies are hardy in Northern VT (Zone 4a), so they will overwinter fine in Ohio.
Mainegal
Posted: Sep/08/2007 6:50 AM PST

I had some clumps of daylilies given to me last fall and i was not able to plant them as I had carpal tunnel surgery. I covered them with mulched leaves and they are blooming as I type this. They are still not planted in the ground. Just clumps sitting on top. The roots have started going into the ground. Yours should be fine. Just cover them with some leaves or mulch for the winter. You want to make sure that they don't thaw and freeze over and over. Put them in a protected corner that doesn't get alot of sun and cover them well. Mine are on the north side of my house. I shoveled the snow off my deck onto them last winter.
Welcome to GG. Hope to see you around the threads.
dalel
Posted: Sep/08/2007 10:09 AM PST

I see you are Ohio, nice topography. The best bet is to cut them back to about 4-6 in. Take them to a 'cool' place like the garage after the first frost. Water about once a month. If it get real 'cold', wrap the pots with many layer of news print, keeps the soil from freezing.

When planted in the ground its not a problem if the ground freezes.

Another thought is to divide them and store them. Best of luck!!
Kittyfang blog photos
Posted: Sep/08/2007 10:14 AM PST

Thank you very much.

I will be placing them under the patio. It tends to be dark and they should be out of the wind and any harsh storms.

I am a little disappointed that they don't need to be "cut" down because that "bush" of orange daylilies that is already planted sure looks like it could use a trim. Bugs and spiders are building housing projects in there.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Sep/08/2007 2:21 PM PST

Oh duh! I just realized that yours are in pots!
Kittyfang blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 10:59 AM PST

ehe, some are in pots, some are planted.

Now, about those planted. I just came back for looking at them, 1/5 of the leaves where dead and the clump of flowers is full of weeds.

I know you guys have told me that they will be fine if I don't touch them... but I'm REALLY wanting to take a punning knife and cut everything down so I can see better whats in there and what's weed.

Now, would that kill them? or would they be fine after my lil pruning?
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account