Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Castor bean pictures

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Aug/30/2007 1:15 PM PST

A little birdie wanted to see pictures of my castor bean plants, well there's no time like the present!
I am posting this in the annuals forum because these plants will not withstand a freeze. They also will not self-seed (to the best of my knowledge) unless you are a Z6 or higher. For those of you Z5 and lower, you can collect seed in fall for spring replant.
I just LOVE my castor beans (and yes, I know they are poison)

Attachments:

Tam-Tam blog photos
Posted: Aug/30/2007 9:35 PM PST

Wow! KeeWee, You're braver than I am. I have read some horror stories about that plant, but it is a very interesting.

Very nice.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Aug/31/2007 5:45 AM PST

WHAT?? What horror stories??! My poor innocent little beanies? Whatever you have heard CAN'T be true ~ I just won't accept it. He's such a well behaved big baby. As long as you don't chew on him (well, I wouldn't like it either) he is a model citizen!
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Aug/31/2007 7:19 AM PST

Aren't they poisonous? hehe
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Aug/31/2007 8:43 AM PST

Yes ~ they are a source of ricin and the seeds DO look pretty enough to eat. This is why I am stingy with my seeds ~ it is very hard to get them anymore. I love this plant, have no visible children, and have no intention of eating it. Just looking at the plant is certainly not going to kill you
Tam-Tam blog photos
Posted: Aug/31/2007 4:38 PM PST

It looks very nice by your front steps.
Hmmmm. KeeWee you're not a double agent spy are you?
Tansy blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 10:48 PM PST

It really is a pretty plant. Someone just gave my husband some seeds, and told him it was good to plant to get rid of moles in the yard. Have you ever heard of this? The leaves sort of reminds me of TX Star Hibiscus.
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: Sep/10/2007 2:34 AM PST

Yes, castor beans do help to deter moles. However, the bean seeds and plant are highly poisonous so be very careful where you plant and where you keep your seeds so children cannot get ahold of them. When I plant castor beans I try to put them in the back of a flower bed so they are not too accessible to people.
maggieevans photos
Posted: Sep/11/2007 8:32 PM PST

I have the castor bean plant and I like them. As far being poisonous, they are but so are elephants ear, caladium, azaleas, rhododendrons, Wisteria, monkshood, day lily, easter lily, foxglove, lupines, lantana, lily of the valley and four o'clocks. That's only a short list of poisnous plants. Do a search on them and you will find a lot more that are poisonous.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2007 4:07 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieevans
I have the castor bean plant and I like them. As far being poisonous, they are but so are elephants ear, caladium, azaleas, rhododendrons, Wisteria, monkshood, day lily, easter lily, foxglove, lupines, lantana, lily of the valley and four o'clocks. That's only a short list of poisnous plants. Do a search on them and you will find a lot more that are poisonous.

My thoughts exactly ~ even edible plants (like rhubarb) have parts that are poison. I love my castor beans and am going to continue to plant them.
So there
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account