Page 1 of 1[1]

Newbie from Illinois saying hello : )

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
mom25kids photos
Posted: Aug/27/2007 2:40 PM PST

Just found this site while doing a search for seeds that I could plant now that just might still bloom this Fall. This looks like a fantastic site & forums and I'm very excited to be here.

Briefly I'm a mom of five children ( 3 grown, 2 at home yet ) grandma to one, live in a rural area, love spending time with my family, gardening,nature,pets,taking pictures and numerous crafts.

If someone could point me to the correct forum for posting my seed question I would greatly appreciate it. I know I'm down to the wire if not too late for this year but would love to get something else blooming yet if possible.

Thanks!
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Aug/27/2007 7:43 PM PST

Welcome to GG from South-Central WI, mom! I have to admit when I glanced at your online name, I thought it said "mom of 25 kids," nearly fell off my chair! OK, so I'm not big on details and small differences... You'll probably get replies to your question right here, although if you scroll down there are a couple other places you could look: annuals, seeds are a few that pop into my (evidently rather tired) mind...
mom25kids photos
Posted: Aug/27/2007 8:08 PM PST

Thanks for the reply Yeah, I've thrown a few people on a couple other boards with that user name There are days though when I feel like it's 25 kids, especially when our six house cats get wild & crazy. I'll be checking into the other forums soon. Hope you start to dry out where you're at real soon. Today was the 1st day in over 2 weeks that hubby could actually mow... I'm thinking we might need to borrow someone's hay baler!

Thanks for the welcome
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Aug/28/2007 4:59 AM PST

Hey, now that I've had my beauty sleep... about the only thing I can think of to give you blooms at this point up here would have to be plants you buy...mums come to mind, mostly because everyone's got 'em on sale now! I don't know of any flowers that would germinate, grow, and bloom all within the next month before it freezes. If you started something in a pot, though, you can always bring it inside...although with the kitties, you may just be giving them a salad! Marigolds, zinnias, asters, would all be compact enough to grow like that.

Let your DH (dear hubby) know I feel his pain with mowing, as I do that in our house...married to an IT guy who cooks, I'm in charge of all things growing outside. Spent 3 hours outside last night just mowing, had to do the backyard twice, once with the bag, a second time with the mulcher. Glad I did, though, because we're back into the 90s today with beaucoup humidity...ugh!

Good to hear back from you! Thanks for stopping in, see ya later...
mom25kids photos
Posted: Aug/28/2007 8:59 PM PST

I always plant some Marigolds late so that they bloom through Oct. It has worked well for me for years but the seeds I planted this year at the beginning of July didn't germinate well and my beds are patchy. I know they will fill in some more yet but I don't think enough to suit me. I have had mums before and saw over a month ago that they had them at our Walmart, but of course now they are gone. I will have to check around and see if anyone has them reasonably priced. I think tomorrow I might just rake in some extra Marigold seeds and hope that they come up quickly enough to help fill in the bed...even if they don't bloom it should help the appearance.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Sep/09/2007 5:34 AM PST

Welcome Mom from another Mom!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account