Page 1 of 1[1]

Identify this berry? Blue in color with a pit

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
storm180
Posted: Aug/22/2007 5:50 PM PST

I thought these were blueberries but they are not. They have a pea size pit inside and blue in color. I am in Idaho. Hope someone can help.

Lisa

Attachments:

storm180
Posted: Aug/22/2007 6:48 PM PST

Are the berriess poisionous? I read they were highly toxic to humans. I appreciate the info.

Lisa
treeman blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2007 5:07 AM PST

I can't ever remember anyone eating any, but never heard any reports of them being poisionous. I wouldn't try em tho. The Virginia creeper will have wonderfully colored red leaves in the fall.... one is best attributes. It does have agressive climbing tendrils, that remain after you pull the vines down, so I would restrict it to growing on something like a tree trunk or a wall you want to leave covered. It can pry wood siding loose so brick walls are better supports.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2007 7:07 PM PST

I know know about waxwings but I think starlings would eat anyting. If the birds eat them they can't be too bad. But I err on the side of caution myself. Great picture though.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Aug/24/2007 7:22 PM PST

Cool. I bet I've seen Virginia creeper 1000 times and never noticed the berries, or any flowers on it for that matter. I also didn't know it was in the grape family. So that's two things I learned today. Thanks, Ron. :-)
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account