Page 1 of 1[1]

Little green worms

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
ksharm
Posted: Aug/09/2007 9:41 AM PST

Was digging up some wildflower type plants in my backyard and see little green almost fluorescent worms. Can anyone tell me if these are good, bad or whether I should try to get rid of them or keep them? Thanks in advance..............
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/09/2007 9:46 AM PST

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/cabgew rm.htm

I wonder if they are cabbage worms. I have them on my hardy hibiscus and they can eat them down to the bone. I sprayed with BT, but some of them seem to be resistant. I am told that BT is relatively safe to use, but I use it very selectively since I like all those caterpillars that turn into pretty butterflies and moths to do well.
ksharm
Posted: Aug/09/2007 9:50 AM PST

All the leaves on the plants I was taking out are chewed...assuming it was those worms. So in your opinion, little green worms need to go? ha ha...
ksharm
Posted: Aug/09/2007 9:59 AM PST

Thanks for the picture Evonne - the ones I have aren't "hairy" like the picture, are almost see-through....but they sure did a number on the leaves of the plants I had
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/09/2007 10:20 AM PST

If they walk like inch worms, they are probably cabbage loopers.

http://organicgardensite.com/?p=18

I don't look so hairy either. Magnified many times, maybe no one would go out with me.
ksharm
Posted: Aug/09/2007 10:41 AM PST

They DO move like inch worms.....so you're probably right! Thanks! And I concur, magnified more than I already am, definitely NO ONE would go out with me!
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Aug/09/2007 11:46 AM PST

Well, just morph into moths or butterflies and it won't be any problem. You two are funny.

(Just make sure you aren't gypsy moths. I hunt those with a grill lighter! ouch!)
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Aug/09/2007 2:48 PM PST

Must...
stop...
cabbage...
loopers.

---Startrek, Scene from Return of the Cabbage Loopers when Capt. James T. Kirk discovers they are back. (Or maybe that was the Trouble with Tribbles.)

Yes. You want to get rid of cabbage loopers. They eat the plants they like down to the bone. Just look at that poor cabbage on one of the prior links! ACK! My hibiscus looks a lot like that poor little cabbage. I am hesitant to use a toxin though.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account