Page 1 of 1[1]

cutting back overgrown plants

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Shalva photos
Posted: Aug/05/2007 10:20 AM PST

Hi All....
I was a member ages ago and left for a bit but am back with a question. I have a rather sad looking perennial garden... (thats what happens when 3 of six dogs can jump the fence surrounding it) but in either case.... some of my plants are rather overgrown and or leggy.....

I have some salvia.... can I cut that back and will it get bushier rather than leggy???? the same for my catnip????

what about my butterfly bushes that are blooming but leggy.... if I cut them back will they be bushier vs. leggy????

my globe thistle well that got pounded on by the rain.... as did my old fashioned bleeding heart..... I could use some help getting this garden back into shape.

thanks
S
Mainegal
Posted: Aug/05/2007 6:01 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Shalva
Hi All....
I was a member ages ago and left for a bit but am back with a question. I have a rather sad looking perennial garden... (thats what happens when 3 of six dogs can jump the fence surrounding it) but in either case.... some of my plants are rather overgrown and or leggy.....

I have some salvia.... can I cut that back and will it get bushier rather than leggy???? the same for my catnip????

what about my butterfly bushes that are blooming but leggy.... if I cut them back will they be bushier vs. leggy????

my globe thistle well that got pounded on by the rain.... as did my old fashioned bleeding heart..... I could use some help getting this garden back into shape.

thanks
S

My butterfly bushes come up new every spring so I cut the old back to the ground once I start to see new growth. If you cut them back now you will cut off all the new blooms as they form at the tips of the stock and mine are just starting to bud up. The purple one is the only one in bloom now.
I would not cut anything back now that you want to bloom this yr unless it has already bloomed as you will be cutting off the blooms. The old fashioned bleeding heart might grow back and rebloom. Not sure about the others. In the spring when they all start to grow is when you want to pinch them back to keep them bushy and not leggy. It matters what time of yr the plant blooms as to when you want to pinch them back.
Hopefully Ron or someone will come along as I only know how I do things, which might not be the correct way to do it.

Welcome back, I remember who you are. We're neighbors
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Aug/05/2007 6:19 PM PST

It is late in the season to prune too much. The butterfly bush can be cut back a little just by cutting off the blooms as the fade away. Here is SC butterfly bush can be propagated very easily just by placing your cuttings in the soil. Either pots or in the ground. It will not hurt the bush to give it a good cutting but I am not sure how long it would take it to begin to bloom again.

Salvia and catnip are herbs and most of those are plants that can stand some cutting back. Again don't know what you will see the rest of the growing season. The fall and frost will be here before we know it. This heat just makes us forget that it will get cold again.

I too will be cutting my BBushes back this year. Most times I just let them be, but they do get leggy.

Good luck and I hope you get more advice on your plants. Linda B of SC
Shalva photos
Posted: Aug/06/2007 4:35 AM PST

I am in NH and we usually see frost in September but right now everything is really overgrown...... just messy.... specifically the Salvia, catnip which are both pretty much fallen over crashed to the ground and the butterfly bushes are just leggy......

I am less concerned about bloom now for these as they have already bloomed and I am more concerned about setting them up to be healthy for next year.

thanks
s
eternalvoyageur blog photos
Posted: Aug/09/2007 5:20 AM PST

I have the same problem with my Salvias and peppermint. Optimally, when should the pruning be done ?
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account