Page 1 of 1[1]

White dutch clover instead of city parkway grass?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Citylawn
Posted: Jul/25/2007 12:30 PM PST

Does anyone have any experience using White dutch clover as an alternative to grass?

My condo association in Chicago maintains the public parkway in front of our building. Aside from mature shade trees, it's not level due to tree roots and bare dirt (read: ugly). Clover seems to be a low cost, low maintenance alternative to growing and keeping grass on the public way. It would be contained by sidewalks and street curbs.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jul/25/2007 12:50 PM PST

Here's a discussion about it from last year. Sounds like a good alternative to grass.

http://my.gardenguides.com/forums/topic/12693
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/25/2007 1:24 PM PST

I've got white clover all over my yard. I know it lasts forever cuz some of the tins, yes tins, that the seeds came in were still in the barn when we moved up here. So it's been here over 40 years at least. It's easy to mow, stays pretty green generally, and we don't do any maintenence other than mowing. It smells terrific when it blooms, too. Like honey.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Aug/12/2007 7:49 AM PST

Ha ha ha! I was so happy to read this post. I decided last year to forgo the grass and let the clover take over, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. I thought I was just being weird, but it really is working out, and knowing that others are doing it to makes me feel even better about it. I've found that it holds up well even in the areas of high traffic in my yard/garden, and I totally concur about the smell; it's another reason to spend time outside. Of course, if you mow it, you'll be cutting most of the flower stalks so you won't get the full benefit unless you let it grow. This might be a downside to you or not, but I found that the bees also came around more. This was good for me because I have the clover in my garden borders and paths and they would go to my veggie plants as well. But if you have a lot of people who are afraid of bees, then just keep the clover short so you don't get the flowers. And you don't have to worry about reseeding, etc. either because it just grows! Let us know if you wind up going this route and how it works out.
sosasteroids
Posted: Mar/11/2008 11:54 AM PST

Hey - I planted white dutch clover on what was previously a cta bus stop. The soil was dead and filled with glass, garbage and dust. I planted it in march of 2007 - it was the best thing I could have done.
I only did 1/4 of it and wish I did more beucase it flourished. My advice is if you plant clover DO IT IN MARCH. I planted identical seed -- later in the year - in the same area, and it died. March seems to have the perfect weather for getting the clover started.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account