Page 1 of 3[123 Last

very persistent black spot

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
mdeedeecole blog
Posted: Jul/24/2007 10:19 AM PST

I have had a terrible black spot problem this year on almost all my roses. I diligently cut off the affected leaves and dispose of them in the trash. They get lots of sun and have good circulation. Doe black spot stay in the stem? All my new leaves seem to be affected right away when they sprout out.
Thanks!
DeeDee
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 3:13 PM PST

OMG! You're from Lytle Creek??? We used to go 4-wheeling and target shooting up that way back in the mid-80's.

Anyways, about your roses. I've had black spot on mine before and was told I'd have to do away with the palnts. I've never done that. I've cut back damaged stems before and disposed of them. I'm not a rose novice pretty much so someone else may be able to help more. Or scan down the thread and see if there's a similar title.

Welcome to the forum.
wan2hav blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 4:05 PM PST

Several variation of roses are known to have Black Spot and other mold/fungus problems.....I see this on my English Roses. I used to fret over this for several seasons..and tried many things to erradicate it. I is ner impossible to do.

What I do know to most enjoy my beautiful roses...is to spray my roses throughout the complete summer season....I use a product called Rose Pride. I mix my oun solution into quart bottles..that are able to mist my complete rose in several burst. This stops the Black Spot and other problems --you may get a contaminated leave now and then--which you can treat as you currently are by removing it and throwing it away.

I want to enjoy my roses over the summer...not spend it looking for a certain sort of spray. Most all of the sprays are Copper based anyway...so my advise to anyone --is to get to a garden center --get a spray..and start ENJOYING YOUR ROSES with the majority of their natural leaves....instead of wringing your hands all summer long. You cannot STOP these issues under 80 % of the cases...but you STOP OTHER LEAVES FROM GETTING IT TOO !!!
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 6:54 PM PST

I found Bayer All-In-One Rose & Flower Care Concentrate this summer it seems to work great. It feeds, controls insects and diseases. I don't mean to offend any of our organic gardeners, by this posting, but when it comes to the roses............

hope this helps.

Sass
mdeedeecole blog
Posted: Jul/25/2007 4:18 PM PST

Thanks for the welcome! It's not that often that someone knows where Lytle Creek is! I grew up here and spent many days cruising the back roads. Our paths may have crossed! As for the roses, I too am very reluctant to get rid of my plants. I think I will just keep cutting them back and spraying them and see what happens.
DeeDee
mdeedeecole blog
Posted: Jul/25/2007 4:20 PM PST

Thanks for the advice. I agree, I don't want to spend my summer stressing. I am just going to cut off the ugly and spray regularly - then see what happens.
Thanks again.
DeeDee
mdeedeecole blog
Posted: Jul/25/2007 4:20 PM PST

I have just started using the Bayer product. Have my fingers crossed!
DeeDee
txrose blog photos
Posted: Dec/16/2007 6:44 AM PST

Like I said before...I'm new to this but this worked for me. Its a drastic measure I didn't want to take but a co-worker told me to cut the rose bush down to the bottom it would only leave the stalky part. I had like a little stick bush no leaves (burnt all the old cut off black spotted stuff) Ok well, it came back beautiful and no black spots at all....Roses don't like wet feet overnight they like to be watered/fed whatever in the early morning so they have all day to dry before bedtime...lol thats what I heard.
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Dec/16/2007 6:58 AM PST

It's not so much the wet feet as it is wet leaves. Using s sprinkler or hose to water from above too late in the day can cause blackspot. Water the ground only in the evening shouldn't cause too much trouble. Also, watering thourghly once or twice a week is better than watering lightly daily. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sass
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/19/2008 8:48 AM PST

I pruned out all crossing branches on my shrub rose and it really opened it up for good air circulation. I'm hopeful that it will be black spot free this year.

I've heard that sprinkling corn meal around roses prevents black spot. Is it worth a try?
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account