Page 1 of 1[1]

morning glory seeds - how to harvest?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
waltesar blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 6:20 AM PST

I have some morning glories blooming that I planted from seeds this year ... I know this may sound dumb ... but I am new at this ... I assume the morning glories are making more seeds ... how do I find them??? When should I harvest them??
JanetsFamily blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 6:52 AM PST

Good morning! Don't worry, morning glory seeds are very easy to harvest. At each place there was a bloom, you will most likely find a seedpod that is shaped like a ball, about the size of a green pea. Don't pick them until the inside of the ball is brown to black, at which point you can pinch the back of the pod over a cup for the seeds to spill in to (the seed pod covering will be papery), there's about 6 or so seeds to a pod so you will have tons!
waltesar blog photos
Posted: Jul/24/2007 7:19 AM PST

Ok so leave the bloom on after it closes up and wait for them to dry out? It may be my imaginatin but I swear my blooms close up and disappear!
JanetsFamily blog photos
Posted: Jul/26/2007 9:51 AM PST

The bloom usually falls off within a few days. It takes a few weeks for the seed pod to completely form and dry out.
waltesar blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2007 5:33 PM PST

I took off about a million seeds tonight!
JanetsFamily blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2007 10:09 PM PST

Oh good! Seed collecting can become addictive, a whole shelf in my linen closet is dedicated to it!
guerillagrower
Posted: Aug/17/2007 7:20 PM PST

hehe. i wonder janetsfamily knows what she just helped waltesar do or atleast what i'm assuming waltesar will do i plan on doing the same when that season comes around again
thetripscaptain photos
Posted: Aug/30/2007 5:04 PM PST

guerillagrower - i've got some heavenly blues going and i beleive i will do the same thing
dove45 photos
Posted: Sep/02/2007 9:23 AM PST

Thank for the help in harvesting the seeds. I have been looking at my morning glories and wondering when to harvest the seeds for I will have lots to. Mine are a real nice purple.
I will have seeds to give away.
francesakis photos
Posted: May/18/2014 4:16 AM PST

I was wondering if there is something special I should do with the seeds harvested this Fall? Do I just keep them in an envelope, jar or what? Should they be kept in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to plant? My husband and I love Morning Glory plants for their beautiful colors. This year he planted them in pots on the ledge of the terrace so the neighbors had a bright idea of using twine to their balconies so they too can enjoy them.

I bought some seeds from America last winter to plant this Spring here in Turkey. My husband said he thinks he saw one flower budding which he says is red. I could only find blue and mixed seeds as winter is not a good time to buy flower seeds in Louisiana. Nonetheless, we have some growing and I can take pictures when blooms are open.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account