Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Herbs.. What are the most common and most used?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
PeppermintQueen photos
Posted: Jul/20/2007 3:39 PM PST

Hello!

I'm new to gardening, I have a twelve by twelve foot garden (My first real garden) I am working very hard on. I also have a few different herbs growing, but would like to know which herbs are the most beneficial and aren't hard to prepare for teas, medicinal purposes, and that are just good for food.

I'll be moving to Turkey in less than two months though, so I'll get to start a whole new garden and hopefully find more useful herbs to grow along with my veggies and fruits.

What are your favorite herbs and how to you use them and prepare them?

My garden is getting a bit cramped as you can see... I didn't realize just how gigantic Brussel Sprouts get!! Any tips for my next garden?

Attachments:

AngelsGarden blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2007 3:56 PM PST

The favorites in my garden are Rosemary, Chives, Thyme, Sage and Basil. I don't use any for teas. I use the Rosemary, Sage and Thyme in poultry dishes mainly, though sometimes the Rosemary will end up in a beef dish as well. So far the Chives have just been on baked potatoes. The Basil is the purple kind, I haven't used it too much in cooking, but it is very pretty.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2007 5:00 PM PST

Wow, Peppermint, your garden looks so...green! (Major drought going on in WI, lotsa crispy brown grass, I'd forgotten what it's s'posed to look like ) By the way, welcome to GG if you've not been formally introduced. I've had my garden for three springs now, and I still plant way too much stuff, and don't have the heart to weed/thin it out. Yours looks very organized compared to mine!
As to the herbs, I'd agree with most of what AngelsGarden posted. My DH is a Parisian chef, and uses herbs constantly in his dishes. Basil is a mainstay, goes in lots and you can make your own pesto fairly easily. Tarragon is a similar taste, complements chicken and veggies well. Chives are consistently in the garden, they will reseed themselves, and can be used in several styles of cooking as well as salads. Let's see, I think those are the perennial faves around here, easy to grow and used in more than one dish, those are my prerequisites. There's also rosemary, thyme and sage (no parsley, or we'd have a Simon and Garfunkel song ), grown in containers so they can come inside when it gets cold.
Have fun with your AK garden, let us know how it goes, and good luck with the move! Keep in touch, we're international, you know...
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2007 6:53 PM PST

i don't grow many herbs anymore. just sage and chives. one of the herbs i used to grow years ago was summer savory and it was the best tasting herb i ever remember having. it went well in soups, stews...you name it.
PeppermintQueen photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 12:12 AM PST

Thanks for all of your replies! I am proud to announce that I was able to harvest my FIRST harvest from my garden! I was able to harvest some of my (tiny but wonderfully tasty) celery and Red Sails lettuce. Of course, being who I am, I had to take pictures of this momentous occasion! I'll post the pictures at the bottom.

I'll definitly keep those herbs in mind for my new garden. I'd be thrilled to be able to use food stuffs from my own garden in everyday meals. It's even saticfying to just simply be able to make my own tea let alone most of my meals!

mbvirtue- It just stopped raining in AK just recently after being rainy/cloudy for a month straight.. The hottest day so far this summer has been a "crazy" 75 degrees...*go us*

Attachments:

JuneP blog photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 6:00 AM PST

I grow most herbs, but the ones I use the most are Italian Flat leaf parsley,basil,rosemary,thyme,and oregano.
I use the basil in tomato sauces and for pesto and in bruschetta. The rosemary I use in chicken dishes and in roasted potatoes.
Here's what I do with the potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut up 3-4 unpeeled red potatoes in about 1" chunks. Sprinkle a good olive oil over to coat well. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and some cayenne pepper to taste and the chopped leaves of rosemary. I don't use a recipe for amounts. I just add the rosemary till it looks like I have a nice light coating on all the potatoes. Then mix it all up and toss in the oven till done. It will take 30-40 minutes depending on how thickly you cut the potatoes and how brown you like them. Once or twice, open the oven and turn them over with a spatula.
These are my husbands favorite potatoes next to mashed potatoes. They go great with baked or broiled chicken and simple grilled pork chops.

Broiled Tomatoes:

Slice some fresh garden tomatoes about 1/2" thick, and top with a mixture of finely chopped fresh basil leaves,parsley leaves and little fresh oregano. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle some fine ground parmesan cheese on top and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake or broil till tomatoes begin to soften but not soggy.

This is a nice with any grilled meats - another of my husbands favorite.
June
JuneP blog photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 6:00 AM PST

I grow most herbs, but the ones I use the most are Italian Flat leaf parsley,basil,rosemary,thyme,and oregano.
I use the basil in tomato sauces and for pesto and in bruschetta. The rosemary I use in chicken dishes and in roasted potatoes.
Here's what I do with the potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut up 3-4 unpeeled red potatoes in about 1" chunks. Sprinkle a good olive oil over to coat well. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and some cayenne pepper to taste and the chopped leaves of rosemary. I don't use a recipe for amounts. I just add the rosemary till it looks like I have a nice light coating on all the potatoes. Then mix it all up and toss in the oven till done. It will take 30-40 minutes depending on how thickly you cut the potatoes and how brown you like them. Once or twice, open the oven and turn them over with a spatula.
These are my husbands favorite potatoes next to mashed potatoes. They go great with baked or broiled chicken and simple grilled pork chops.

Broiled Tomatoes:

Slice some fresh garden tomatoes about 1/2" thick, and top with a mixture of finely chopped fresh basil leaves,parsley leaves and little fresh oregano. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle some fine ground parmesan cheese on top and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake or broil till tomatoes begin to soften but not soggy.

This is a nice with any grilled meats - another of my husbands favorite.
June
AngelsGarden blog photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 6:19 AM PST

PeppermintQueen, that view in the second picture is fantastic!!! Wow!
The weather you are having sounds like it has been perfect for growing those cool season veggies.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 8:56 AM PST

Peppermint, I'd have a really hard time getting any gardening done with that view...wow! You're right about the rewards of having a meal come from your garden. Green beans, corn, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers were on the list the first year we were here...it was great to have a plate of stuff you grew from seeds. Looks like you're really having a blast with the digging, keep it up. Did you think of starting your own blog?

EDITED TO ADD: In you Profile, there's a message tab. You should have a new message!
PeppermintQueen photos
Posted: Jul/21/2007 9:49 AM PST

Thanks everybody, I am having so much fun with my garden and learning about growing things! I have to admit, I think the amazing view helps my plants grow, specially my strawberries!

My cucumbers are not doing well at all though... I had one golf ball shaped and sized cuke grow (Which was very wonderful to eat!) but, my plants have yellow leaves and the cukes aren't growing...What's wrong? Does my soil have a high pH or something or is it normal for some reason?
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account