Page 1 of 2[12 Last

African Violets

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Jul/15/2007 8:37 AM PST

I love my African Violets. Many years ago they grew in a kitchen window, then in subsequent homes there was not a happy place for the plants. They even had the once in a while dunking by mistake (usually by an unhappy child/teen helping with the dishes) and it didn't seem to hurt them a bit. The violet that is, the dishwasher did suffer some fear and embarassment over the incident.

Now there is a nice west facing sunroom with the proper shade and there are once again blooming african violets.

One of my prizes is a pure white that came from a cutting of my sister Judy. Have not propagated AV's in many years. It is a wonderful thing to see your little baby grow up and begin to bloom.

Threw in a pix of a pot of Christmas catus. There are three colors in one pot. The creamy color is a new one for me.

Attachments:

yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Feb/02/2009 7:17 AM PST

My AV's have been blooming like crazy this year. I was just reading on Dave's Garden forum about Trailing AV's. Anyone on GG have you know of this plant?

Seems it forms multiple crowns thus causing it to 'trail'. I hope to get a start from one. Linda B
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/02/2009 8:00 AM PST

Beautiful violets, yg. My mother used to grow them years ago with much success. I think that she has only one now. I never had any luck. I guess I just have no patience.
tigerseye412 blog photos
Posted: Apr/03/2009 10:38 PM PST

for the first time in my life i have 2 african violets that have survived and are doing well, its a miracle.
harley blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2009 5:47 PM PST

I have quite a few AV's. I wish I had the pretty blue colored one. Mine are mostly purples, reds and pinks. I have a varigated one that I just transplanted. I hope it makes it. I never propagated with water. I put in dirt, wrapped in saran wrap, and misted often. I'm going to try the water now. Do I need to put anything in the water? AV food?
harley blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2009 5:50 PM PST

oh sorry for the second post, but i have 2 christmas catcus and haven't seen them bloom in years. Any suggestions? THis one was at its peak, very beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll try planting several together as well, (once I see the colors I have)
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2009 5:51 AM PST

I don't put anything in the water when rooting my AV's. Do you feed your Christmas Cactus? I don't do a lot with mine just make sure they do not dry out too much and when I water I use the same water I use with my AV's.

Good luck with your cuttings.
harley blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2009 5:23 PM PST

Is there a special food I need for the cactus?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: May/01/2009 6:16 AM PST

I don't know that there is anything special. Just something for house plants.
pinkdamsel photos
Posted: May/04/2009 8:01 PM PST

I too just love African Violets. I think that was one of my first plants to grow way back when. I had an AV for years, but it finally died. I have since planted one, and just recently, the 2nd one. I like the variegated ones.

Here is my recent AV.

Attachments:

Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account