Poll

Can use use coffee grounds in annual flower pots?
Yes, go ahead, flowers love coffee

73.08%19
No, this will only hurt/kill the flowers

0.00%0
Maybe, but .......

26.92%7
Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Coffee Grounds in flower pots

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
chiodokeller photos
Posted: Jul/13/2007 7:47 AM PST

I realize that coffee grounds in the soil is good for plants but I was wondering, Is is okay to put coffee grounds into the soil of my annual flower pots? What do you think?
dove45 photos
Posted: Jul/13/2007 9:25 AM PST

I water my plants with left over coffee and tea and they love it. Sometimes when I have to replant a indoor plant and I happened to have some coffee grounds still in my coffee maker I put that at the bottom of the flower pot and then put dirt on top. I have never lost a plant from too much coffee. So now where is my morning coffee mmmmmmmmm. Good luck. Tina
chiodokeller photos
Posted: Jul/13/2007 2:55 PM PST

Thanks, Tina. I appreciate your input.
bluethumb photos
Posted: Jul/14/2007 8:07 AM PST

It's ok, but you do have to watch that the soil does not get to acidic.
It’s great on acid loving plants.
It best to dump it in the compost pile where it will turn out neutral.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Jul/31/2007 7:58 PM PST

Yeah, it will be fine, but you'll want to scratch it into the top inch or so of soil if you can because sometimes, if you leave a layer of grounds on top, it can crust over and make watering a pain. I'd recommend putting in a small amount of finished compost as well, just to make sure that you have some active cultures to start breaking down the grounds and making the nutrients available to the plant.

My company has a free, fresh brewed coffee machine. I asked the person responsible for emptying the grounds if she would mind if I emptied the machine for her. She was happy to be free of the chore, and I get free fertilizer. :-) I've been putting coffee grounds on my garden all season. My sunflowers are over ten feet high and have blooms that are shaping up to be bigger than dinner plates! Of course, I've also been using compost and the occasional shot of fish and/or seaweed emulsion.
Cyndereela blog photos
Posted: Sep/15/2007 1:32 PM PST

For over three years I have added coffee grounds to my Hydrangea plants,and the plant is so healthy,and full and the greenest leaves ever I saw. I even add egg shells to my roses...I guess that is another topic huh?
Tura
Posted: Sep/24/2007 3:16 AM PST

So it works just as good to use coffee you have brewed or tea? I dont have to use the grounds? Since ive already planted and dont want to disturbe the plants and soil ill do this.
spiceoflife blog photos
Posted: Sep/24/2007 9:05 PM PST

sure. That's fine too. Just make sure it's cooled off. ;-)
chattycarnation blog photos
Posted: Sep/25/2007 4:14 PM PST

I use my left over coffee and tea to water my hydrangea, azalea and rhodos.. they love it! And it does not seem to be too much acidity for those acid loving plants.
tioga
Posted: Oct/14/2007 7:26 PM PST

My Starbuck gives away 10# bags of used grinds. Everyone wants to get a bag for their garden. It certainly works well in beds for onions.

B
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account