Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Plants for toads

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
nanb42
Posted: Jun/26/2007 12:35 PM PST

Hello,
I have discovered a large toad in my flower garden that seems to want to stay. I have a "Hop Inn" toad house there which he seems to like on hot days. I would like to put some plants near it that toads would like, but do not know for sure what they like or need. Anyone know what would be good to plant for a toad habitat? Thanks.

Nan
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 1:04 PM PST

Read this article:
Toads: Humble Garden Heroes
by Jackie Carroll

I hope one of these links will work:

http://homeandgardentreasures.com/article-toads.ht m

http://www.parentinghumor.com/garden/toads.html

http://www.proparents.com/garden/toads.html

I don't think toads are particular about plants, but mine have been very happy with the outdoor light left on to attract insects.

Attachments:

MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 6:05 PM PST

Toads like cool, dark, damp places. Anything that provides a large leaf cover would work great. I have my toad house near my hostas'. The real important thing to remember is they need a water source. Most wild ones use puddles that form in plant leaves, puddles etc. If you want to incourage him to stay, provide him with a water source. I use the drip tray from a terra cotta flower pot. I place it back in under the hostas' and fill with fresh water every couple of days.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 6:17 PM PST

They get under leaf debris around here sometimes. I just saw a big one trying to run away from me between the house and my front porch steps. He was so fat he had a hard time wiggling back there. I thought I'd have to pull the stairs to let him free.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 6:21 PM PST

Welll lessee... theres toad flax, and toad lily, and of course, toad stools
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 10:01 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaBearBSA
The real important thing to remember is they need a water source. Most wild ones use puddles that form in plant leaves, puddles etc. If you want to incourage him to stay, provide him with a water source. I use the drip tray from a terra cotta flower pot. I place it back in under the hostas' and fill with fresh water every couple of days.

That's what the article says: "A birdbath at ground level would provide just the right amount of water for your toads' daily needs, but if you would like to see them raise a family in your garden, consider adding a water garden or small pond." - Jackie Carroll
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/26/2007 10:02 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by treeman
Welll lessee... theres toad flax, and toad lily, and of course, toad stools

karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jun/27/2007 3:36 AM PST

Anyone know where to find 'toad houses'? Thumbelina - yours is very nice!
ljchris photos
Posted: Jun/27/2007 12:26 PM PST

We have a fat one that gets in the dogs' water bowl every night. I have to change it cause it gets full of dirt. Many times we go out there and there he is, sitting with his fat *** sitting in the bowl!!

Laurie

Attachments:

MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/27/2007 5:49 PM PST

I got mine at Menards but there are several ways to improvise. If you have a terra cotta pot that is broken, lay it on it's side (broken edges down) and whala. I also have an old piece of brick tile (the cylinder style) that I just lay on it's side. Anything that will provide them with a nice cool damp shady spot will work.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account