Page 1 of 1[1]

How many seeds per hole?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
tomccue
Posted: Jun/23/2007 6:53 PM PST

I haven't seen this anywhere and was wondering how many seeds per hole should I plant?
Sweet corn How many seeds per hole?
Peppers?
Tomatoes?
Yellow Onions?
Scallions?
Watermelon?
Cantelope?
Carrots?
Lettuce?
Cabage?
Squash?
Radishes?
Cucumbers?
Zuccini?
Dill?

Thanks for any help this is my first vegetable garden 20X30 feet
I would like to keep it oragnic if possible.
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2007 7:37 PM PST

General rule of thumb from the farmer in my family is three, and there's even a rhyme that says why but I can't remember it. Essentially it's so one can be eaten, one can fail to germinate, and the remaining one will be your plant. With due respect to Ferg Telfer, I've never put more than two in a hole when the seed is big, like corn, beans or peas.
AngelsGarden blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2007 9:04 PM PST

I never put more than 1 in a hole. I think that with thinning the other seedlings roots will be damaged. Even if I were to just cut any extra seedlings off I worry about accidentally snipping the other one also. Then I would have 0. And no, no one has ever accused me of having O.C.D. or of being controlling or anything of the kind!!! Anyway, so I just plant them in rows about twice as many as needed then thin them out and everyones happy.
pvtidy
Posted: Jul/28/2010 1:23 PM PST

Thanks everyone for the info. Just playing around with a tiny fall garden. Three five foot length rows... Tomatoes with companion carrots, Bell Peppers with companion radish, and a last row of vertical cucumbers.
Cheers,
PVTidy
fancybeetle
Posted: Apr/25/2013 5:49 PM PST

What do you do with the rest of the seed when you only have a small garden? If I only use 2 or 3 seeds per hole I will have several left over.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account