Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

chives

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
abbeck blog photos
Posted: Jun/22/2007 12:34 PM PST

quick question here~i noticed on my chives that it looks like they are going to seed on top of where the flower bloom was. is it o.k. to pull those off and collect the seeds?

amanda
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2007 4:45 AM PST

There's not much you can do to hurt the chives. My MIL suggested cutting the flowers off and putting them in salad, but to me the taste was very strong. Since chives are like a grass, they will continue to come up each year. You don't have to collect seeds unless you want to give them away or plant them somewhere else in your yard.
I have to laugh whenever I think of chives because it reminds me of what a seasoned gardener said to me years ago: If you can't grow chives, find another hobby
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2007 9:16 AM PST

Yup, I've dug 'em out of the ground and just tossed the whole clump (dirt, chives, grass, roots) in an unused section of the garden, and they are still growing. Picking off the flowers will probably let the plant give it's energy to growing more green, that's what other herbs do (rosemary, basil, thyme just to name a few). It may also alter the taste of the herb, as basil gets quite bitter if you let it flower.
divaqs blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2007 11:15 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by abbeck
quick question here~i noticed on my chives that it looks like they are going to seed on top of where the flower bloom was. is it o.k. to pull those off and collect the seeds?

amanda

I see no reason why not. When I haven't dead headed my chives and disposed of the seeds, they have dropped on the ground around that area and seeded new chive plants.
abbeck blog photos
Posted: Jun/28/2007 8:20 AM PST

thanks everyone for your thoughts...i did collect them to see if maybe my neighbor might want some now i can't remember what i did with the seeds i collected & i collected a lot of seeds from just one of my chive plants..

i have yet tried to cut them before they flower to eat...i never remember to do that...

maybe next year...

another quick question~how many seeds should i tell my neighbor to put in the ground when i give her some?
naturegalforlife blog photos
Posted: Jul/01/2007 8:01 AM PST

Keywee, I like the quote about growing chives...I guess I am doing ok then. I have a little patch of chives in my front garden bed and yeap they come up every year..not matter what. I cut them all of not too long ago and brought them in, cleaned them and wrapped them in a damp paper towel and put them in my crisper door in frig. I use them in a tuna recipe and I like them on my scrambled eggs too.. just to name a few..
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/02/2007 2:52 PM PST

Mine were going to seed so I wacked them with the weedeater and now I've got a second growth!
I've got them all over the place so I took the seedheads from another patch and scattered them in what I think is a rather appropriate place for something that smells. Right around where my septic tank pipes stick up like concrete mushrooms in the front yard. lol
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Jul/02/2007 9:03 PM PST

Now that they've gone to seed you might wanna gather them anyways or your gonna have more plants whether ya need it or not!! They will become a nuisance if you allow the seed to drop.
I allow mine to flower full force for early spring color and then cut the whole clumps back to about 4". After that it's all about letting energy go to greens ...any forming flower stalks get pruned out. After new growth of about 10" I harvest the same way

Attachments:

AngelsGarden blog photos
Posted: Jul/02/2007 10:18 PM PST

Vera, your chives are very pretty! I just started chives this spring for the first time and I love the flavor on all kinds of things. I am wondering though next spring when they start to flower...can you harvest during flowering? Or do they taste different while in bloom. Also if you have an abundance of chives to harvest or want to keep some for the winter how do you store them? Dry or freezer? I like to sprinkle them on the tops of dishes for added flavor.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/04/2007 10:05 AM PST

I've read about them and most things say they don't retain their flavor. I tried to freeze or store them in the fridge crisper and they just don't taste like much of anything if they aren't fresh.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account