Attracting Baltimore Orioles

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
hawkeye_wx photos
Posted: Jun/07/2008 12:39 PM PST

I put up my new classic oriole feeder a few days ago in a part of the yard it would be easily seen by any birds flying overhead. That means it is in the hot sun, but if I put it under a tree it won't be easily seen.

I really didn't expect to get any orioles because the one oriole I had this spring left a few weeks ago and the orange I continued to put on the patio for a week went untouched. I just went out back to check my rain gauge and I noticed the grape jelly in the oriole feeder trays was half gone and the orange half in the middle of the feeder was partially eaten, with pieces of orange scattered on the feeder. I don't think any other birds around here would eat orange, so it must have been an oriole.
hawkeye_wx photos
Posted: Jun/07/2008 1:20 PM PST

Just saw a bright orange oriole on my patio eating the jelly I put out for the catbirds. Sure is a beautiful bird. One of my robins also likes the jelly, so the robin faced off with the oriole and bullied it away. It certainly looks like the new orange oriole feeder did the trick of attracting at least one oriole.
hawkeye_wx photos
Posted: Jun/08/2008 8:43 AM PST

I just saw the first female oriole enjoying the orange half on my feeder, so I know there are now at least two orioles in the neighborhood. That's two more than I was expecting to see when I put up the feeder last Wednesday.
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jun/13/2008 5:27 PM PST

You're all making me go out and get an oriole feeder - I haven't seen one since I was a kid on Long Island - I'm in upstate NY and don't know if there are any in my locale - I have never seen one before...
hawkeye_wx photos
Posted: Jun/14/2008 10:39 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by karslinky
You're all making me go out and get an oriole feeder - I haven't seen one since I was a kid on Long Island - I'm in upstate NY and don't know if there are any in my locale - I have never seen one before...

You definitely have orioles in your area.

Attachments:

karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jun/18/2008 6:08 PM PST

Well I got my feeder yesterday, hope to set it up with oranges and grape jelly tomorrow - it has a clear cover overhead and orange sides from recycled something or other. When I asked the 'bird lady' how to attract an oriole to my feeder she said wait until next year!! Ha. I understand they have already staked out territories, but I might get lucky. And when I started with my hummer feeders, I diligently put out fresh nectar for months before they found it, so I can be patient when I want to be!! LOL. Wish me luck!! If not this year, then I'll be ready for them next year. Is there a migration map similar to hummingbird.net??
hawkeye_wx photos
Posted: Jun/26/2008 8:28 PM PST

A couple weeks ago the two orioles that visit my yard were eating the orange half on the feeder in addition to the grape jelly. Within the last week they have stopped eating the orange and now they eat only the grape jelly. I've also noticed their visits are becoming less frequent.

Anyone else having a similar experience with their orioles?
ChloeRuby photos
Posted: Aug/26/2008 1:23 PM PST

I live in SE Michigan and just saw my very first Baltimore Oriole today! (I used to live in downstate Illinois and Eastern Missouri, and never saw them there.) He stopped at my hummingbird feeder for a little while. We shop at Ace frequently and I intend to look for the feeder you have. I have room for it on my feeder pole- and just hope I can get him to stop by again. Thanks for the info.
SandyleeMI photos
Posted: Aug/28/2008 8:48 AM PST

Hi Chloe,
I'm up here in NW MI...the Orioles are migrating right now, so you may get a few stop-over's ... looks like the adults are showing the youngsters how to use feeders in preparation for the rest of their trip!
Most will be gone from MI in the next couple of weeks...but around Oct. 1, you can take down the feeder, give it a good cleaning and put it up again about May 1 in your area (the Orioles don't arrive up here for a week or so after that.)

Keep the nectar clean (replaced every few days)... listen for the Oriole's "chatter" ... they aren't singing right now.
noroom4weeds photos
Posted: Aug/29/2008 10:57 AM PST

I'm seeing a lot of them at my feeder too. They are even trying to use the hummingbird feeder.

noroom4weeds
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account