Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Popular Filler Plants?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/14/2007 7:48 PM PST

What are some popular filler plants for container gardens besides vinca and asparagus fern?
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/14/2007 8:58 PM PST

Well, hey, I learned the name of two fillers tonight: dead nettle and licorice plant. It's hard to believe that one plant is called dead nettle!
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jun/15/2007 8:06 AM PST

That's lamium, Thumbelina. It's a good groundcover too.

I've been looking for the licorice plant and can't find any this year. I wanted to put it in the front of my planter box, but the purple verbena should spill over and cover the front. I bought something called creeping charlie, which is considered invasive in the ground but makes a nice trailer. Other trailing plants are sweet potato vine and creeping Jenny.

I planted osteospermum with the verbena and creeping charlie. We'll see which one takes over and crowds out the rest, which usually happens to my containers.

Attachments:

Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/15/2007 5:05 PM PST

How do you keep your containers looking beautiful? Mine are usually scroungy by August.

We just rode through the neighborhood. Those who have inground sprinklers have nice yards. I'm discouraged that I've worked so hard to have a nondescript yard.

ssstanley has such a pretty yard and patio and so do so many of the rest of you. I have great taste with a brown thumb and no money for a deck or patio.

The variegated vinca escaped from my pot one year and I'm still trying to dig it all up.

I wish I could draw a plan of my yard and get suggestions from people who know our midwest summers. I will say that I'm glad my bee balm is about to bloom.
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/16/2007 5:54 PM PST

Bee Balm:

Attachments:

sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jun/17/2007 7:54 AM PST

I'm still trying to learn how to make a nice container. So far I haven't been too successful, despite regular watering, fertilizing, and deadheading. I'm not planting one of my planter boxes because I don't feel like fussing with it this year, and another big pot I've turned into a water garden.

I've had my struggles with the lawn too. It was pretty much dead last summer after the first heat wave. A nice lawn takes a lot of water, as you've noticed in your neighborhood!
JanetsFamily blog photos
Posted: Jun/18/2007 10:15 AM PST

I purchased 3 licorice plants (helichrysum) last year, and only 1 made it through winter; however, I found two volunteers that popped up from self-sown seeds so I'm back up to 3 It's a very pretty plant for containers.
bluethumb photos
Posted: Jun/18/2007 11:21 AM PST

Fine Gardening has a special issue on containing gardening. It has examples on tall plants, which they call thrillers, medium size – fillers, and hanging – spillers. Some of the plants are hard to come by, but at least they give you an idea.

When I look for fillers in the seed catalogs for fillers, I pick plants that grow 12 to 24 inches tall. If the thrillers are large you can go up to 36 inches If they get to big as fillers I trim them down so they blend in with the arrangement.

I have a problem in finding decent spillers or should I say ones that are unusual and that give some punch. Tired of the ivy and common varieties.
Thumbelina photos
Posted: Jun/18/2007 7:03 PM PST

Thank you, bluethumb.It seems like I read that somewhere, but I'd forgotten about the thrillers and spillers.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jun/19/2007 8:44 AM PST

Keep your eye open for those Fine Gardening special summer issues! I have this year's container issue and one from a few years ago. Love 'em!

Another spiller is bacopa. It has small white flowers. Also lobelia, which comes in several colors.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account