Page 1 of 1[1]

tree-like shrubs

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
taz74
Posted: Jun/03/2007 7:42 PM PST

I'm sorry I don't have a picture but wondered if someone might recognize this description. I am trying to identify some shrubs that have a woody stem and green, draping foliage at the top. They look like small trees and are about 3 to 4 ft. tall. They have beautiful red berries in the winter. I've heard the name before and think I'd recognize it if I heard it again. I've done numerous searches for "holly-like" "red berry shrubs" etc. and I'm not having any luck.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Jun/04/2007 3:30 AM PST

Try Winterberry, Ilex verticillata
taz74
Posted: Jun/04/2007 12:48 PM PST

I found out what it was and thought I would share it. The shrub is a "nandena" also known as "heavenly bamboo." I can't find a lot of good information on it but it is definitely a southern plant as it loves heat. We purhcased my mother's home two years ago and these are 16 years old and have nice 2 1/2' woody stems with the leaves and berries draping down from the top. They are a total of 3-4 ft. tall and look beautiful along the garage end of the front of the house. They have taken minimal maintenance over the years. Each year we pull up healthy starts of this but this year I'm repotting and sharing with friends. Thanks for the help. Taz74I found out what it was and thought I would share it. The shrub is a "nandena" also known as "heavenly bamboo." I can't find a lot of good information on it but it is definitely a southern plant as it loves heat. We purhcased my mother's home two years ago and these are 16 years old and have nice 2 1/2' woody stems with the leaves and berries draping down from the top. They are a total of 3-4 ft. tall and look beautiful along the garage end of the front of the house. They have taken minimal maintenance over the years. Each year we pull up healthy starts of this but this year I'm repotting and sharing with friends. Thanks for the help. Taz74I found out what it was and thought I would share it. The shrub is a "nandena" also known as "heavenly bamboo." I can't find a lot of good information on it but it is definitely a southern plant as it loves heat. We purhcased my mother's home two years ago and these are 16 years old and have nice 2 1/2' woody stems with the leaves and berries draping down from the top. They are a total of 3-4 ft. tall and look beautiful along the garage end of the front of the house. They have taken minimal maintenance over the years. Each year we pull up healthy starts of this but this year I'm repotting and sharing with friends. Thanks for the help. Taz74I found out what it was and thought I would share it. The shrub is a "nandena" also known as "heavenly bamboo." I can't find a lot of good information on it but it is definitely a southern plant as it loves heat. We purhcased my mother's home two years ago and these are 16 years old and have nice 2 1/2' woody stems with the leaves and berries draping down from the top. They are a total of 3-4 ft. tall and look beautiful along the garage end of the front of the house. They have taken minimal maintenance over the years. Each year we pull up healthy starts of this but this year I'm repotting and sharing with friends. Thanks for the help. Taz74I found out what it was and thought I would share it. The shrub is a "nandena" also known as "heavenly bamboo." I can't find a lot of good information on it but it is definitely a southern plant as it loves heat. We purhcased my mother's home two years ago and these are 16 years old and have nice 2 1/2' woody stems with the leaves and berries draping down from the top. They are a total of 3-4 ft. tall and look beautiful along the garage end of the front of the house. They have taken minimal maintenance over the years. Each year we pull up healthy starts of this but this year I'm repotting and sharing with friends. Thanks for the help. Taz74

Attachments:

KATIE66
Posted: Feb/11/2008 9:40 AM PST

Your nandena is gorgeous,they also grow heree in south as an evergreen shrub to mix in with the greens and come in two colors...some have purple follage with new growth red at top...other has green leaves that get red in fall and winter but the new growth is green ...these dewarf varieties are not as likely to have berries as the larger. I have several of the larger and a couple of the dewarfs.
Looking for nursery now to buy new one for my front foundation settings.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: Feb/13/2008 4:24 PM PST

One of my favorites and so dependable as well as beautiful. Linda B
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account