Page 2 of 2 First 12]

Is Rabbit Poop Good for Gardens?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jun/29/2007 4:48 AM PST

My husband started raising bunnies a few years ago, so we are drenched in poop! We have put it right into new raised veggie garden beds without problem, the only thing I have discovered is that root veggies don't do well when it's fresh.. we composted and let me tellyou, that stuff is awesome! We actually get so much poop when my husband cleans the cages we don't have enough 'green' stuff to mix it with, but it really hasn't mattered much. Ours was composted for about a year at least before we got around to using it - we are not real good composters in that we don't turn it or anything - we really need another composter I think...but bugs do their thing with or without our help thank goodness!
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Oct/24/2008 1:06 AM PST

I am making a Tea barrel , we just had an arrival to our family, His? or Her? name is Browney Walnut Cunningham, you guessed it the twins named it. I now have a lots of bunny poo, What do you think about dumping the fresh poo in the tea barrel, I will be putting a gallon of rusty nails, coffee grounds,cow pies, chopped up drywall and what ever it takes ? but I will hold off on the fish heads (just keep buring in the compost), Guilt Trip
stereoman blog photos
Posted: Oct/24/2008 7:39 AM PST

Hot stuff, GT! I'd dilute that tea about five to one before I used it on my plants.
cgar blog photos
Posted: Oct/24/2008 8:31 AM PST

There is a great place in Central Texas called Rabbit Hill Farms (http://www.aogc.org/pages/rhf/). I worked with Jay briefly while living in Austin. Great man, great source of info. Check out his website. Maybe it will help.
blueyedkitty04 blog photos
Posted: Mar/24/2009 5:21 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by GuiltTrip
I am making a Tea barrel , we just had an arrival to our family, His? or Her? name is Browney Walnut Cunningham, you guessed it the twins named it. I now have a lots of bunny poo, What do you think about dumping the fresh poo in the tea barrel, I will be putting a gallon of rusty nails, coffee grounds,cow pies, chopped up drywall and what ever it takes ? but I will hold off on the fish heads (just keep buring in the compost), Guilt Trip

I am so curious about the above comment. What do you mean by putting rusty nails and chopped up drywall in to a "Tea barrel"? Do you actually put those things in to the soil after you've let them sit or do you just use the liquid? Were you serious? I am boggled by this...hum?

So, regarding making "Poop Tea" - it works really well with sheep manure. We would just make a mixture of dried composted sheep manure, about 1/2 manure - 1/2 water and pour it around our flowers. My mom mixes the dried powdery manure right into the soil she plans to plant her veggies in.

~M~
Page 2 of 2 First 12]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account