Page 1 of 1[1]

Big mistake in choosing soil for container????

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
meska photos
Posted: Apr/29/2007 4:52 PM PST

PLEASE HELP!!Has anyone ever used for your container a garden soil mix that is supposed to be worked into regular soil? I bought Sta-green garden soil for vegetables and flowers for my containers because regular potting soils did not specifically say "for veg." (I have NO experience with gardening at all but have always wanted to.) I planted from seeds last week and already have 2" tall bush green beans and tiny sprouts for carrots and lettuce. I was thrilled but went to buy more soil for strawberries and more greens and bought basically the same thing in Miracle Gro. Got it home, planted a couple things and saw a big circle that says "NOT FOR CONTAINERS." Checked old bag from Sta-green and it says in small letters at the bottom "not recommended for containers." My pots are big, 18" by about 15" deep. Called Lowes and garden man told me it should be okay since my pots are deep, but called 800 Miracle GRO help number and she told me it would definitely kill the plants, choke roots,etc. I've read about mixing your own mixes but have limited physical capabilities and have just about exhausted them. Do I leave it and see what happens or do I try to get someone to help me dump everything and start over? That's an awful lot of money but I feel like I have so much invested already that I hate to just give up on it. I feel really ignorant for not being more thorough to begin with. What should I do?
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Apr/29/2007 5:38 PM PST

Meska, you should repost this in the Vegetable forum. We have some really knowledgeable vegetable growers and most won't look in Houseplants. I know you're supposed to use the soilless mix for containers, but I don't know how garden soil will affect veggies.
meska photos
Posted: Apr/29/2007 6:57 PM PST

Thank you so much. I will try to figure out how to navigate over to that area.
meska photos
Posted: Apr/29/2007 7:10 PM PST

Forgot to mention, Sweetlebee, that I hadn't even realized I was in houseplants forum!!! Thanks again.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account