Page 1 of 1[1]

Which groundcover?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
NoviceGardener
Posted: Apr/24/2007 6:08 AM PST

Which ground cover would you recommend for under a tree in a confined area. I live in zone 6a and need something evergreen, fast growing and easy to maintain. I've read up on wintercreeper, Pachysandra and periwinkle, but don't know which is best and/or easiest to grow. Perhaps another type? Nothing else would be planted in this area. Thank you for your help.
flowerpower
Posted: Apr/24/2007 9:17 PM PST

I was going to say Lamium also. I have the first one (Silver Beacon?)What variety is the last one. I like that.
NoviceGardener
Posted: Apr/27/2007 9:44 AM PST

Great! Thank you for the help!
Jade
Posted: Apr/28/2007 3:06 PM PST

I have good luck with Sweet woodruff under trees, it doesn't seem to mind that it is somewhat stressed for water in the summer. It gives a really nice green foliage that is interesting, a pretty little white flower for a few weeks, and is well behaved generally. It IS NOT evergreen though.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2007 5:04 PM PST

I have that all across the front of my house. The leaves form a whirl pattern which is attractive, too. Lamium (dead nettle) is pretty and it grows fast as was said before.
The pachysandra I have on the north sude has been here quite a long time, but it just doesn't grow much there. For an evergreen groundcover I think that's what I'd go with if you want a broader leaf. Periwinkle if you want something smaller and vinier.
divaqs blog photos
Posted: May/11/2007 1:54 PM PST

As an edible landscaper, my preferred evergreen ground cover plants are;

Gaultheria procumbens (Wintergreen)
Wintergreen berries ripen starting in late August until winter and are bright red. They can be made into tea, eaten raw, or mixed into fresh fruit salad. Both leaves and fruit taste like wintergreen lifesavers. They are a native of the eastern United States and hardy to USDA Zones 3. This plant is a creeper and will spread outward 12 inches or more. Plant 12 inches apart, in partial or full shade. Needs a loose, acidic soil with high organic matter content. It grows to about 6 inches tall and makes a great edible red and evergreen ground-cover.

Rubus pentalobus (Emerald Carpet raspberry)
This thornless evergreen groundcover, from the mountains of Taiwan, has beautiful clover shaped, leathery green foliage which covers the ground, turning an attractive coppery color in the autumn. It grows only a few inches tall. The infrequent yellow berries ripen in July. Grows in Sun or shade

These descriptions come from my favorite edible landscaping nursery, "Raintree Nursery"
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account