Page 1 of 2[12 Last

crape myrtles look dead

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
angiedan
Posted: Apr/08/2007 8:56 PM PST

Does anyone know much about crape myrtles? I have had them for 3 years and they are starting to really take off until I noticed that after the last few evenings of below freezing temperatures that the green that has bloomed now is brown and brittle. I cut the trees back in February like we always do in this area and they started growing new greenery and now that looks terrible. I see this on every crape myrtle in this area. Are they going to be OK when the temperatures rise again????????????
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Apr/09/2007 6:45 AM PST

I have the same problem. It's been really cold here and the leaves have turned black. Any advice?
treeman blog photos
Posted: Apr/09/2007 9:29 AM PST

For now I would simply wait and see what may happen. It is possible you lost only the foliage and the tree/shrub will releaf. Since the tree was in active growth and depending upon just how cold (and the duration)it got in your locations, there is a chace you may have lost some wood. 2 to 4 weeks should tell. There is also the very unlikely event that it could have froze back to ground if the cold enough, but I think this is very unlikely. In that event, your crepes will sprout from the root collar area.

I'd be interested in knowing just how cold it got in your locales, how many nites it dropped below freezing and what the plants look like in 2 and 4 weeks.
butterfly1 photos
Posted: Apr/09/2007 11:35 AM PST

We had two nights in the mid twenties. Not unusual for this area just this time of year. I had some shrubs that also got hit but I couldn't cover everything up.
maggieevans photos
Posted: Apr/09/2007 4:49 PM PST

My crepe myrtles froze to along with a lot of other plants. We had temps. in the 20's 3 nights in a row and tonight is suppose to 30 degrees. I covered my hydrangeas and they still froze. We had a lot of trees to freeze. My hostas, bleeding hearts, mums, coral bells, lillies and asters all froze to. I hope everything will come back out again.
maggieevans photos
Posted: Apr/09/2007 4:52 PM PST

My lilac bushes froze also.
jlberry06
Posted: Apr/09/2007 6:57 PM PST

Hey Maggie,
All of my stuff froze also over here in Macon Co.
My Clematis was the prettiest it has ever been & now it is black.
Do you think I should cut them back or just leave them alone?
My hostas & my roses don't look so bad but my Crape myrtles took a good hit & so did my butterfly bush. I have one pin oak that was turning green right before the freeze but the other did not have any new leaves on it. I hope the temps did not hurt them.
I pray everything comes back out to normal.
maggieevans photos
Posted: Apr/10/2007 7:12 PM PST

My clematis all froze to. I'M going to all of mine back. I cut mine down to about 6" every year anyway, just hadn't got around to them this year before the freeze.
jlberry06
Posted: Apr/10/2007 8:02 PM PST

I think I'm going to give mine a couple of weeks & see what happens. I may cut mine back a little but not too drastically.
I looked at my Lillies and my hostas today. They are yellow looking, but not too bad. I think they will recover nicely.
They are calling for another frost later this week. I'll be glad when Spring finally gets here & stays here.
nofish95
Posted: Apr/14/2007 10:34 AM PST

We got hit in Charleston, too. I am interested in what happens to everybody's plants. My crape myrtles and jessamines look terrible.

nofish
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account