Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Durgan blog
Posted: Mar/18/2007 1:41 PM PST

Making juice from fruit and vegetables.

Durgan's "Juice" Method
http://xrl.us/ujtn

I suggest the new Canada Food Guide has neglected to mention utilizing the most useful appliance in all Canadian homes- the simple blender. Consumption of more fruit and vegetables is emphasized by the food guide.

I have used several juicers over the years and found all wanting. Most are very difficult to clean and eventually one quits using them. Also they are wasteful in that the pulp (fibre) is not utilized.

About 35 percent of the nutrients of fruits and vegetables exists in the pulp. This pulp is usually discarded with most juicers.

So after some thought this is how I make my "juice".

Select RAW; pineapple, peppers, oranges, grapefruit, carrots, bananas, mellon, cranberries frozen or fresh, strawberries, raspberry, blueberries, lettuce, spinach, peaches, kiwi, nectarine, plums, broccoli, grapes, tomato, pear, and in the summer I utilize any garden vegetable available. Bean sprouts are not particularly suitable, since the end product is overwhelmed by its flavour.

Skin thinly (I don't trust using the skin since I am somewhat concerned about herbicide and pesticide residue) and, cut into reasonable size pieces and put into the common blender, add the necessary amount of water to blend to an even consistancy. Usually I make a one or two litre quantity at one time, and wrap the remaining fruit and keep in the refrigator until needed.

The product may be consumed as a liquid or simply eaten with a spoon depending upon the consistency of the mixture. Some people prefer to masticate, but I prefer to simply drink the end product about one litre per day.

I have been doing this many years, and consume far more fruit and vegetable than I ever would were the fruit eaten individually. Also the variety is much greater. Usually I eat or drink a litre of the mixture daily. The taste takes on the flavour of the prominent fruit used; in my case, usually pineapple or mellon, and the colour varies considerably from red, green, brown, blue, and all shades between. For a refreshing cold drink in the summer, sometimes I throw a few ice cubes in the blender with the mixture.

Using the blender method one gets all the nutrients plus the addition of the fibre. This method utilizes the fruit and vegetables completely, and is 100% efficient. It is palatable and healthy.

Here is a URL to the process which I produced today 30 January 2007.

Durgan
BannedUser
Posted: Mar/19/2007 2:39 AM PST

yes i have been waiting a long time to vent about those juicers ...i have one its terrible its soooooo much work to chop the pieces up tiny then to watch 99 percent of the food get thrown out (i had tried to make jelly out of the pulp from the juicer but im aparently not good at that yet lol.

! say no to juicers !

i havnt used a a blender for juice making but ive been thinking about it (i mainly think that i wouldnt be able to drink it because of the taste i think it would have but maybe someday i will try it. thanks

(sorry bout the spelling i have a migrane
ceresone
Posted: Mar/20/2007 4:27 PM PST

You mix all of these together to make your juice? Sounds different, but I'll try it. Love my vita-mix.
Durgan blog
Posted: Mar/20/2007 11:23 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by ceresone
You mix all of these together to make your juice? Sounds different, but I'll try it. Love my vita-mix.

Having mixed the vegetables for years tn the manner described, I accept the drink with much pleasure. It could be because I am use to it, but I have introduced the practice to many of my associates.

I suspect most objections to it is simply long held conventions or custom, similar to most people being introduced to Sushi. Now Sushi is available in the supermarkets at an enomous price I might add, considering one can make it for almost nothing.

I use any fruit or vegetable available now, but the typical juicy fruits are the predominent component, and the others are added in appropiate quantities. I fine mellons, pineapple, oranges, lemons, and limes probably make a good base. Fresh produce is used depending upon availability, but frozen works fine.

The mixture can be a beat to almost nothing with the addition of the appropiate amounts of water. Above all, this has to be better than any of the so called fruit juices that one buys in the supermarkets

Utilization only takes a change in mindset.

Durgan.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2007 8:38 AM PST

My parents had a juicer that ground everything you put into it to juice. It was heavy duty, too. Mine was a smaller juicer with an extracter and you couldn't do any citrus in it. It just wasn't made for things like that. I gave it away a few years ago since I wasn't using it anymore, but I copied the recipes and one thing it stressed was not to consume more than a teaspoon or 2 of parsley juice. It's really bad for the heart and mess up rhythm.
wosmci
Posted: Mar/06/2009 1:55 PM PST

But what it is that makes a Women smoking cigars much more appealing? Well, it is yet not well known, but it has been discovered that celebrity women feel the need to smoke because of several reasons, for example, it is widely believed that smoking helps women skip meals, and this has made possible for these women to loose weight.

But not only to loose it, but also to maintain it, so beautiful Women Smoking Cigarettes has become a thing to do, something that defines how a woman behaves in society, something that could be used as a different approach as to how a modern woman should look.

And also what these women should do, not to mention of the other possible reason for a woman to smoke and will be a smoker person, which is one of the more acceptable reasons yet, smoking will help anyone relax, and stress is relieved through smoking, that is another reason why there are Women smoking cigarettes, especially modern woman.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Mar/07/2009 4:05 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by wosmci
But what it is that makes ......... Women smoking cigarettes, especially modern woman.

How is this relevant to the topic and/or forums in general? Comes across like a cigarette add from the 30's or 40's.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Mar/07/2009 4:09 AM PST

I own the Jack Lelane juicer(not sure if I spelled that right) and do use it from time to time. I have had an abundance of tomatoes this season, so I juiced several of them along with a package of baby carrots. I added enough O.J. to the mixture to where it was the predominant flavor and vua la! Good stuff.

I agree that the juicer seems wasteful in that it seperates all the pulp. However, there are many things that you can do with that pulp. There are some recipes in the instruction booklet it brings. I personally use it in the compost pile. Adds tons of nutrients!
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Mar/12/2009 7:28 PM PST

I don't remember if my folks had a Vitamix or what it was, but it was a total juicer. My dad used to buy 50 pound bags of carrots and store them in a fridge in the barn when he was trying to alleviate his cancer.

Unless you're growing the carrots yourself you might want to check into the baby carrots process. I've read that they're normal sized carrots that are ground down and treated for freshness. You may want to just use the regular ones. We used to add a celery stalk and that would cut the carrot taste a bit.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Mar/17/2009 6:31 AM PST

I did not know that about baby carrots, but it makes sense.

I actually like the taste of carrot juice. It's tomato juice that is hard for me to stomach.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account