Page 1 of 1[1]

Four o'clock plants. Mirabilis multiflora.

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Durgan blog
Posted: Mar/17/2007 10:13 PM PST

This is a very pretty annual for a home garden.

http://xrl.us/qppi

This display is about four plants.

14 August 2006. Zone 5. Four o'clock plants. Mirabilis multiflora. This plant is easy to grow, just pop the seeds into the ground when it is warm. It flowers in late afternoon and blooms until the sun closes the flowers about 10 AM. It appears no bugs attack this plant at least in my area.

Durgan.
GardenBear
Posted: Mar/18/2007 3:46 AM PST

Durgan....your right they are a pretty plant but the only thing is one plant this year and next year you got 50 + the spread like wild fire and are hard to get rid of I grow them in pots and that way I can keep them where I want them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garden Bear
phyllanthus var phyllanthus
VBKatLou
Posted: Mar/18/2007 9:53 AM PST

I bought some seeds the other day. I've started these indoors before. This year, I'm going to just start them outside when the weather gets warmer. I never had a problem with them spreading. Maybe it gets too cold for next year's seeds in my area.
Durgan blog
Posted: Mar/18/2007 11:38 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Garden Bear
Durgan....your right they are a pretty plant but the only thing is one plant this year and next year you got 50 + the spread like wild fire and are hard to get rid of I grow them in pots and that way I can keep them where I want them
Garden Bear
phyllanthus var phyllanthus

Funny, I have grown them for about 12 years, and the only vegetation that comes up if exactly where I place the seed. I have never had any come up from last years seed, and this plant produces many, many seeds. We are in the same zone 5. Mirabilis multiflora cannot withstand any frost whatsoever.

Durgan.
dove45 photos
Posted: Mar/18/2007 2:38 PM PST

[quote=Garden Bear]Durgan....your right they are a pretty plant but the only thing is one plant this year and next year you got 50 + the spread like wild fire and are hard to get rid of I grow them in pots and that way I can keep them where I want them

I have to agree with Garden Bear. I have not planted four o'clocks for years and they keep popping up every where. I have pulled out tons of them over the years. They are pretty but a pest for they start growing where I did not put them.
Thanks Durgan for all the lovely pictures. You sure must put in a lot of time in your gardens. Keep up the good work. Tina
CharleneLawson
Posted: Mar/18/2007 2:55 PM PST

Very Pretty.
Anyone have any extra seeds for the hot pink four Oclocks?
Such a pretty color.
bensmom98 blog photos
Posted: Apr/14/2007 4:11 PM PST

Those are pretty. I would like some seeds, too, if anyone has some to share.
birdlover46 blog photos
Posted: Apr/15/2007 9:15 PM PST

I have grown 4 o'clocks for several years... They do come up from my last years seeds that fall.....but I do not mind at all. I pull them up when they are about 4 inches or so tall and put them right where I want them. They are easy to pull up and I have no problems with them..
If I can find a picture of them.....I will post it as well.
Birdie.........zone 4.. Iowa
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account