Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Zucchini problem

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
EdBurke13 photos
Posted: Feb/11/2007 12:47 AM PST

A problem that I have had the past two seasons is, the zucchinis start to grow, and after reaching an inch or two, they turn yellow and die.
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Feb/11/2007 10:52 PM PST

Are you talking about the actual fruit or the whole plant?Sounds like they aren't getting pollinated or maybe it's a squash bug. You could try hand pollinating because sometimes there just ain't enough bees. and look for bugs on underside of plants and at the base. the vine borers enter at the base and destroy plants quick. The bugs usually gets mine and I'm organic so they just get em. I know in our area last year there was a airborne virus that took out most tomato's, cukes and squash type veggies. Very bad crops for me and many others. Whatever it is i hope you get it fixed and get some squash. Welcome to GG
Michelle
Kale
Posted: Feb/12/2007 12:00 AM PST

Are you watering too much or too little?
Planting too closely?
Check your pH level? Rotating your crops?
I would check the base of the plant if it looks like someone is snackin upon it I would give a good inspection,remove some of the soil be careful not to hurt the plant stem, then PILE 2year old compost on it and water with a light spray being careful not to wash the compost away.(Worked for me)

Kale
EdBurke13 photos
Posted: Feb/12/2007 12:02 AM PST

No, not the plant, the actual fruit. They grow a little bit then shrivel up and die. Not all of them, but enough to make it a nuisance. I was told that it could be because I am letting the other zucchinis on the plant grow too large , and I should pick them sooner. This is making it difficult for the newly grown ones to get any nutrients.

Any thoughts on this?

Ed
Kale
Posted: Feb/12/2007 1:14 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by EdBurke13
No, not the plant, the actual fruit. They grow a little bit then shrivel up and die. Not all of them, but enough to make it a nuisance. I was told that it could be because I am letting the other zucchinis on the plant grow too large , and I should pick them sooner. This is making it difficult for the newly grown ones to get any nutrients.

Any thoughts on this?

Ed

Sure do; a few...*LOL

That can be true but I doubt it. How big /heavy are you letting the good fruits grow and what variety plant is it? Summer squash ? Or is it Zucchini?

Also.....is the flower shriveling and falling off ? Is the end rotting first?
Do you ever check the flowers early in the am around 5-6am to make certain you do not have any pest lurking about? in your flowers,you will have male and female flowers
Are you watering enough? Slowly not just to wet the surface but a deep slow watering.
If you can answer the 1st set of question we may get to the bottom of this a bit faster

Kale
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Feb/12/2007 3:50 AM PST

Definately sounds like a pollination problem to me. Try hand pollinating with a qtip to help out the bees..

When male and female blooms are both present and female blooms with small fruit attached continue to fall off, a pollination problem exists. Pollination means the transfer of male pollen to the female's stigma. This task usually is accomplished by bees or insects visiting the flowers. If a gardener lacks a source of pollinating insects or continually kills them by spraying insecticides during flight periods, inadequate pollination and fruit drop occur. If insects are a problem during bloom, spray insecticides late in the evening when pollinating insects are less active.
fredw10
Posted: Feb/12/2007 2:25 PM PST

I frequently have this problem. It probably is from poor polination. If you are getting enough good squash I wouldn't worry about the ones that don't develop. Just try to keep moisture, fertilizer, pests ,etc. in control and try hand polination.
Jade
Posted: Feb/12/2007 2:33 PM PST

Ha, is there ever not enough zucchini? The only way that I could ever keep up with them was to make zucchini muffins and freeze them. I have had the problem in the past where the entire plant just wilted and died, I know that was some sort of squash borer problem. I agree with the lack of pollination theory.
jbb2388
Posted: Feb/13/2007 12:24 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by EdBurke13

Any thoughts on this?

The flowers are not getting pollinated. It has nothing to do with cultivation practices. If there is not a large population of pollinating insects in your garden, you can manually pollinate the flowers yourself.
ncgardengirl photos
Posted: Feb/13/2007 2:22 PM PST

I have been seeing stories in the news, one just this morning, that honey bees, which pollinate most gardens, have been infected with a parasite of sorts and the population is less than half what it used to be. Apparently crops are in real danger from this and its a major problem for all concerned, farmers and beekeepers. I always thought having a bee hive could be fun and beneficial if i rent it out. Any thoughts on that anyone? I've been looking for a new career and maybe this could be it.
Michelle
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account