Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Lavender question

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
TabascoBabe
Posted: Feb/09/2007 6:14 AM PST

I got new lavender plants in 5 inch peat pots, and I was wondering if they'll thrive in containers (medium to large ones), or if I'd be better off just putting them in the ground or in my raised flower bed. I really want these plants to do well.
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 6:59 PM PST

Welcome to GG! I love to grow lavender in containers, I usually use a good sized one and fill it with the worst dirt I can find! Rocks, sand...mixed with dirt, lavender loves it, and I also tend to mound the dirt in the center (whether in the ground or a pot) so the water will not puddle on it.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:18 AM PST

Hey babe.... Welcome to GG

They should do well in containers.... they tend to like life on the dry side so choose a well drained potting mix. The big risk for any plant in a container is it drying out as the available water storage volume is limited.... so don't let them become too dry.
sashweezy
Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:35 PM PST

Welcome to GG! RKayne, I'm in zone 4 and haven't been able to grow lavender in my garden. Do you think that I could grow one in a container and take it in for the winter? I'm not into high maintenance during the off season and have limited space where they will get light. Do you think it is feasable?
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:09 PM PST

I have my munstead lavendar in a container. My regular old heirloom variety is in the ground.
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:11 PM PST

Oh most definately Sash, and it would smell so good! I would just keep it close to a window and if it got 'mad' at you, take it in a garage perhaps? Toss a full spectrum light on it? (I am rather fond of a not so pretty arrangement - 4 ft shop light, with full spectrum flourescents in it).
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:29 PM PST

I have a real beautiful expensive set up too. LOL I got some old warehouse shelving when my hubbies employer closed one of their warehouses. I went and bought some of the cheap shop lights and zip stripped them to the wire racks, wired them all direct into a timer and put in the full spectrum light bulbs. If it gets really cool and I want to save energy, I have an old foil heat reflecting blanket that is the perfect size to wrap around the racks and it traps the heat produced by the lights in with the plants.
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:36 PM PST

YES! And don't they work great? By the time you need to change the bulbs, you can put things back outside! I loved them because the things I used it for didn't like it warm (like inside) and didn't like it outside either...picky damn plants.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:41 PM PST

That is if I am doing seed starting. If I am doing cuttings or just overwintering, I don't worry as much. I just try to keep it as useful as I can. I have it full of favorite geraniums, lantana, mexican petunias and bleeding heart vine starts this year. Not planning on doing much from seed this year as we will be traveling a lot this summer so I planning on keeping things simple. I can buy plants for anything I need this summer.
dimona photos
Posted: Feb/23/2007 12:17 AM PST

I saw your thread and HAD to comment. I grow Lavendar for my greenhouse, and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I live in zone 6 where its easy for me to leave it in the ground, but i have some munstead and two different hidcote varieties in the house. Simply because I can. Easy, easy plants. One of the very best in my humble opinion. Good luck and I hope they do well for you.
Kris
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account