Page 2 of 2 First 12]

African Violet leaves

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
ladystressout
Posted: Jan/25/2007 2:22 PM PST

hello Vera I do the same thing forget what seeds I got and while going through them I find them what a good surprise forgetting you got them then findiing them??As long as you find them when you need to plant them gosh cannot wait till spring comes!!
ladystressout
Posted: Jan/25/2007 2:27 PM PST

For got to tell you all the progress of my hanging AV? I transplanted it and it is still hanging in there some of the leaves are dying but I expect some to do that when it has just been transplanted so everyone keep your fingers cross that it keep in there?Don't like to be move to much!
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jan/28/2007 12:42 PM PST

I've been reading along this post and just want clarification - I have a very old AV in a mixed planter and it has a very long goose neck - I took a leaf and put in the the soil next to it last year, after advice here at GG, and the leaf is growing. I was hesitant to just cut the neck off the older plant because I don't want to lose it - but is that what you're saying to do? just cut the roots off, trim older leaves and plop it back in the soil? I'm scared
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Jan/28/2007 1:23 PM PST

Stop the presses! Just went to take pictures of my goose-neck AV and discovered the neck had been lying on the soil for so long it grew new roots closer to the base of the leaves! I cut off the old root and repotted the new one to make the pot look more tidy. Even started a new leaf that needed trimming. Now I'm getting brave....
ladystressout
Posted: Feb/02/2007 4:47 PM PST

update on AF's some leaves wilted because of being transplanted but it is not dead yet so that is great news! Now that i got a hanging one I like it very much it is neat to see a hanging variety type.You all have a good weekend and thank you all for the information and if I should lose this one will be posting where can I get a hanging AF? Rita
craynewhope
Posted: Mar/04/2007 5:36 AM PST

Well I never
If my wife drops a leaf on a dirty floor it grows there. Ok so I lie a little but all I did was stick a leaf a child had broken off and now we have two plants sharing one pot they are so crowded they each stand as if they were two halves of an A frame and we can't even see the top of the pot any more when we turn it around you can see the other face with blossoms in full bloom. I told my wife we should probably repot them and she just ignored me. Like why fix it if it ain't broke? I find that the newer leaves are often light then later they darken. All six of her pots of vies are at least fifteen years old now and I don't think even one has larger than a six inch pot. I vaguely recall one of them may well be thirty years old now. Her aunt had hundreds of them large verity and she got some from her way back there someplace. I can ask her how often she feeds them in the winter but mostly good house plants don't know if it is summer or winter. one trick to increase sun light on plants that need it is to place a mirror by each side. As the sun passes the window the light is doubled and the sides get full light as well as the front. I have forced plants to blossom this way.
GraceyAli
Posted: Mar/25/2007 2:27 PM PST

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Good Morning everyone!
I have tons of AVs, all different sizes. I keep most of them in an AV pot but the ones that are in a regular pot are always watered from the bottom.
When I got my first one (18 years ago) I asked my Mom who has the green thumb what do I do? LOL! She told me to always water from the bottom and once a week dilute AV fertilizer in the water and water them all. I have alway had wonderful plants, still do....infact, I have some that I would love to give a new home!
I am NOT an expert gardener by any means, but I thought I would share what I do incase it might help someone else.
Have a great day! It is a beautiful morning and I am heading outside to cleanup my gardens! [/COLOR][/FONT]
Page 2 of 2 First 12]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account