Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

spearmint plant

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Dec/06/2006 8:01 PM PST

[COLOR="Blue"]It will grow back next year, heck...try to STOP it, lol. Anyways, it is winter and they don't look happy all winter long, just wait till spring and it will be ALL too happy to perform [/COLOR]
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Dec/06/2006 8:03 PM PST

Welcome to GG, minty! if you live in Michigan and your plant is outside i'm sure the cold has gotten to it. it will come back in the Spring...back and back and back. if it's indoors the dark days we've been having are probably depriving it from enough light. you may have to invest in a grow light to keep it going this winter.
mintymcgee27
Posted: Dec/06/2006 7:55 PM PST

:tomatodan hello, I need some help with my spearmint plant(in side plant). It looks quite sad. I have cut it down a little because it was getting SO BIG! that was in October. But now, it looks sad. Do I need fertializer? I would like to save it.
Other question, Since I live in Mi, does it only grow once a year? does any one have anyother links.
Thanks
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Dec/08/2006 11:14 PM PST

You not saying whether it's indoors or outdoors...and if outdoors whether in a pot or in the ground. I'm guessing it's indoors if your worried about how it looks now. Give it good light and a deep wide/deep pot to accomidate the extensive root system. No need to water as much over winter as you would in summer (same rule for all plants indoors for winter), and give it good light.

Outdoors in the garden it should die back to the ground to reappear in spring. I'm not sure what zone you are in (3 or 4?) but sprearmint is hardy to zone 4.
tfwsGarden
Posted: Jan/05/2007 10:37 PM PST

I agree, with it being an inside plant it probably is not geting enough sunlight. If you have a sunny south window that may help, or a grow light as suggested above.
Terry:banana-wa
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Jan/22/2007 3:15 PM PST

Ok...I missed the "in-side" reference in you post.

I agree, it would be the lack of light. Also consider that this is a perennial plant and probably would have liked it's winter dormancy. It may not even perform as well as it could in spring without it.

Vera
Whitmore1
Posted: Feb/10/2007 2:14 PM PST

Check to see if the plant is getting root bound which means that its root system has gotten too large for the container. Carefully pull the plant upwards. If it begins to move then it isn't root bound, but if you have to really tug you'd better pull the plant out of the pot/container. You'll know its "root bound" if the roots are formed in a huge, closely knit mass that takes the shape of the container.

If it is root bound you'll need to make a large cross-cut across the bottom of the root mass. cut at least 1/2 way through the root mass and then spread the four sections out. Be vigorous with this.

Replant in a larger container.[

By the way if you get to liking the spearmint and decide you want to plant it outside I'd caution you to think long and hard about doing so. Mint is VERY invasive and VERY difficult to get rid of once it's established in a garden.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account