Page 2 of 2 First 12]

Growing garlic

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Iris
Posted: Oct/30/2006 7:28 PM PST

Wow, I've been thinking about planting garlic for a while now, and this thread just really helped....very useful info all. Thank you
vondalin
Posted: Oct/31/2006 6:36 PM PST

Do any of you garlic growers soak the cloves in baking soda and liquid seaweed before planting? Alcohol? How about indoors in containers for garlic flavored greens during the winter?
Thanks for all your help!
lin
username5
Posted: Oct/31/2006 7:23 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by vondalin
Do any of you garlic growers soak the cloves in baking soda and liquid seaweed before planting? Alcohol? How about indoors in containers for garlic flavored greens during the winter?
lin

I don't do anything special with the cloves before planting.

If one wishes only for garlic greens the clovess can be grown indoors even in low light. The greens are coming up from the bulb and using the energy in it so sunlight isn't really required for the greenery to grow. Of course eventually the bulb would be 'spent' and worthless, but if you have lots of extra cloves, why not?

Most hardnecks are very cold hardy though so they can be set outside anytime the temps are above freezing with no worries whatsoever. Many of them will withstand several freezes as well before the greenery dies back.

Of course there are garlic chives one could grow indoors or out as well. These are also mind bogglingly hardy once they get going.
Kozykitten
Posted: Oct/31/2006 7:30 PM PST

nothing special here either, I just toss them in the ground
strmywthr3
Posted: Nov/10/2006 10:46 PM PST

I finally got my garlic planted yesterday. I have 3 trades worth for trade or sasbe if anyone is interested in some hardneck garlic bulbs.
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Nov/11/2006 4:40 PM PST

[QUOTE]I'm thinking I would like to try to grow some garlic indoors. I read it was really easy.[/quote]

You can probably produce bulbs if the container is deep; at least 1ft. Give it a try what will it hurt?
I've done it many times indoors over winter in smaller containers just for the greens which can be snipped just like chives
Greenhousin
Posted: Nov/12/2006 12:50 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by vondalin
lin

I do soak mine prior to planting. The liquid seaweed helps get your garlic off to a good start, the Baking Soda destroys any molds or fungus which may be present and the alchohol will kill any remaining pest eggs or larvae.

I have heard of types of garlic which are used specifically for container growing but If you want the garlic for it's bulb, I doubt it will do very well.
HardNeck garlics Need a cold winter to force bulbing.
maryk
Posted: Nov/28/2006 4:08 AM PST

thanks for the info about growing garlic
Page 2 of 2 First 12]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account