Page 1 of 1[1]

overwintering lavender in container

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Sep/27/2006 11:33 AM PST

I've kept a lavender plant in a container by my door and I want to try to overwinter it - should I just plant it? Keep it in the basement and let it go dormant? keep it in a window with all the rest of the plants that have come in from the cold?
Zana
Posted: Sep/27/2006 1:08 PM PST

I've kept them in the containers and brought them into the garage......or let them dry out completely and covered them over so that no snow/water could get in and let them overwinter outside. The ones in the garage in pots started sprouting new growth early this year when we had a warm spell in Feb/March. But slowed down when the temps dropped again. The garage isn't heated, but it is insulated, so it gets cold, but not subzero in the winter.

However, I've also had luck with some varieties planted in the ground in a sheltered place. If they have a northern exposure, I find that the kiss of death with winter here.
Hoeandhope blog photos
Posted: Sep/27/2006 10:13 PM PST

I don't have a lot of sucess with lavender. They all seem to die. The ones in the garden and the ones in containers. Don't know what I am doing wrong. I have on e in the garden right now that isn't doing too well.
swindyi
Posted: Sep/28/2006 1:41 AM PST

I always just let my lavenda fend for its self durning the winter and had a beautiful plant .
swindyi
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Sep/28/2006 3:28 AM PST

Can you plant it in the ground or bury the pot? Lavender should winter just find in NY, but I would bury they pot. I also wouldn't cover it protecting it from snow/rain. Bone dry dirt in winter can be even more damaging to roots than cold alone!

Vera
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Sep/28/2006 12:48 PM PST

Thanks for all the suggestions - I thought about putting on the steps of the bilco (sp??) door to the basement, since my basement is not that cold, but I'll forget to water it once in a while. So I'll try burying it on a sunny side of the house and see what happens last year.
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Oct/05/2006 1:23 PM PST

Just to mention that Lavender are reliably hardy around the Spokane area (zone 5 thru 6a depending on location...the far north portion of the area is zone 5). Most of mine on the south and west side of the home will in fact remain evergreen thru the winter.
Just water it in and leave it alone and be sure where you bury it (or transplant it) that the soil drains real well.

Good luck!

Vera
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account