Page 1 of 4[123 Last

Mountain Dew Jelly

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
von219
Posted: Sep/12/2006 2:08 AM PST

Has anyone on here ever made this type of jelly? I know it's not real fruit but if it is good why not? Here is the recipe but I don't understand how much Sure Jell to use - is it saying you use a whole box of Sure Jell for just 3-1/2 cp of Mountain Dew? That sounds like a lot of Sure Jell. (I'm new at this!)

================================================== ======

Mountain Dew Jelly

Category: Appetizers & Snacks

Description:
Sounds weird, huh? A friend sent this to me. Now I have to try it!

Ingredients:
3 1/4 cups Mountain Dew
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 package Sure Jell pectin

Directions:
Pour the Mountain Dew and lemon juice into a 6- to 8-quart pot. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Let it cool slightly, then follow the Sure Jell directions. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

NOTE: You can use more Mountain Dew and reduce it to 3 1/4 cups for a more concentrated flavor.
GrandmaSage
Posted: Sep/12/2006 2:46 AM PST

I hope someone knows the answer too! Although I've never made jelly, this might make a great addition to my holiday baskets. I was just looking at bread recipes. :broccoli:
RandyCobb
Posted: Sep/12/2006 3:58 AM PST

I made some chardonay wine jelly a couple of years ago, but I checked my canning folder and apparently didn't enter the recipe. I can check one other location and see if it is there. The reason I mention that is that it sounds similar to the Mtn. Dew recipe.
von219
Posted: Sep/12/2006 4:27 AM PST

Here is the site where I found the recipe....there were several sites with the same recipe but this one gave some Reviews of it.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/reviews.php?ri d=52213
von219
Posted: Sep/12/2006 4:31 AM PST

Here is one with a photo of it......maybe this is where I got the recipe....who knows....lol.

http://kitiara.multiply.com/recipes/item/3
brassi
Posted: Sep/12/2006 12:10 PM PST

I've made many jellys from ODD stuffs. I have made coke jelly, it's a neat flavor and texture for soda!
I'm not using Sure Jell I had some things not turn out well--so I switched.
I'm now using Ball NO-Sugar pectin and found it to work so nicely. I make different type of jellys like mango& hot pepper, redwine & rosemary, and also coconut, lemongrass and hot pepper, ginger&mint, rosepedal jam, bluberry& lemon thyme, hot pepper& mint, orange&rosemary, Peach & lemon balm. There are so many creative food tastes to put together in a jam or jelly.
I'm really impressed with the NO sugar pectin, you can add a small amount of sugar for taste,, not to JELL the product. I just have a very hard time adding 4-6 cups of sugar to a savory jelly or jam?? I also make jellys out of the kiddy juice called Juicy juice. This juice makes a nice base for any herbal jellys. If you open your pectin pkg.. pull out the instructions and look for a recipe to make jelly from canned juice--that is the recipe that I use and it works nicely. My son in law loves Mountain dew,,I think I'll make him some jelly!!
Have a great time being creative!!:broccoli:
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2006 6:49 PM PST

My son was nuts about mountain dew for awhile. I've never heard of such a thing as pop jelly. That's really neat!

brassi some of those sound divine.

I've made beer bread before and it was good. Maybe someone can invent a bbq wings jelly to go with it? Man's new favorite food besides steak and taters.
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2006 8:40 PM PST

i think beer jelly would be a man's favorite food.
brassi
Posted: Sep/13/2006 12:28 AM PST

UMMMM wings and beer jelly--I'll have to try making it:banana-wa
von219
Posted: Sep/14/2006 6:19 AM PST

Well, I took the plunge and canned my first thing (EVER) today.....I used the Mountain Dew recipe. It is pretty good. But, when I do it again, I will take the advice of someone who said they started with a 2 liter bottle and boiled it down to the 3-1/4 cps Mt. Dew to get a more concentrated flavor.
Page 1 of 4[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account