Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Is my Weeping Cherry dead?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
ScottB
Posted: Aug/21/2006 1:09 AM PST

I planted a weeping cherry tree in May of this year. We have had a very dry summer and all the leaves fell off the tree. I thought it was dead and planned to pull it out this fall. Now I see that the main stalk has green sprouts starting to come out in a couple of places. Is my weeping cherry dead or just in shock? What should I do?
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Aug/21/2006 2:22 AM PST

Scott, have you been watering it well? you need to give newly planted trees a LOT of water their first few seasons. lay the hose at the base of the tree and let it trickle for at least 1/2 hour. do this at least once a week during hot dry spells. it sounds like it's hanging on.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Aug/21/2006 3:07 AM PST

Not dead yet.... but where are the green stalks coming out at?
ScottB
Posted: Aug/22/2006 3:20 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by treeman
Not dead yet.... but where are the green stalks coming out at?
They are coming out along the main stalk. The weeping branches are bare.
ScottB
Posted: Aug/22/2006 3:23 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by fozbot3
Scott, have you been watering it well? you need to give newly planted trees a LOT of water their first few seasons. lay the hose at the base of the tree and let it trickle for at least 1/2 hour. do this at least once a week during hot dry spells. it sounds like it's hanging on.

Should I prune back the weepers or just leave it alone?
treeman blog photos
Posted: Aug/22/2006 10:30 AM PST

I fear you have lost the topstock, which is what makes it a weeper. Weeping cherries are grafted trees. They contain parts from two different plants. the top is tissue from a low growing weeping form of cheery that is grafted onto an upright stem called a standard. It is the only way to get a weeper some elevation since its natural proclivity is to spread out rather than grow upright.

So the tree has at least two different sets of DNA. Depending upon where the shoots emerge, it may or may not continue with the weeping form. Those that arise along the stem are more than likely contain DNA that tells them to grow upright, rather than horizontally. Therefore it will become an upright style tree with the developement of the sprouts.

To complicate matters worse, many weeping cherries are also grafted between the upright standard and the rootstock, giving you three sets of tissue.

If the sprouts are arising along the stem you have to decide if you want an upright tree or a weeper. The upright tree will likely get much taller and their blooming characteristics are unknown at this point. If this is Ok, then you work towards developing one of the sprouts into a new leader (top). Don't do anything now tho. the tree is stressed enough.

If you want a weeper then replacement is in order. Fall is a good time. Did the tree have a warrenty? Loss of the top in a weeper is a legitimate warrenty claim if it is offered. Tho I personally have a problem with claiming warrenties if i have improperly cared for the tree, failed to water it during very dry weather. But then thats an ethical thing with me.
wan2hav blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2006 5:12 AM PST

I have just learned another important thing on this site from you TREEMAN.

I am not into the weeping cherries myself ..but do think they are pretty in the spring ......

I never knew they were grafted..I thought they were BONSAI like and just trimed to the shape.

I love to learn and here is a great lesson !!!

You don't know me --but your worth a millon !!!
Herbyann
Posted: Aug/23/2006 5:19 AM PST

FYI Rose trees are done the same way with two grafts. Most roses are grafted at the root junction.
pad1220
Posted: Sep/12/2006 4:48 PM PST

Hi there, I have a weeping cherry question as well and would greatly appreiciate some advice. About 4 weeks ago I noticed my 3 year tree had something eating the leaves, leaves we're VERY lacy and dry looking. So I decided to spray some homemade insecteside made of mouthwash,soap and water. I am trying to go chemical free!! WELL! Let me tell you, shortly after that most of the leaves turned yellow and fell off. Now at the same time we we're going through a drought. Do you think my homemade spray did this?? I did notice that before I sprayed there were slready some yellow leaves that when touched would fall off. Since than, many leaves have grown back. But, I looked at it last nite and again the leaves look eaten. Thanks for any help you can give me! This tree is very well established and was beautiful in spring.
pad1220
Posted: Sep/12/2006 7:51 PM PST

Thanks Ron, and yes it was in the morning but the sun was also out.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account