Bookmark and Share

Page 2 of 2 First 12]

flower sabotage - Sunflower head cut off

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Lilyrose
Posted: Sep/23/2006 1:17 PM PST

Last year my sunflower heads kept getting ripped off or knocked down & one day I looked out & saw a squirrel jump up & grab one & rip it off after he knocked it down. So far this year they haven't done it.
elwood photos
Posted: Jul/30/2009 11:22 AM PST

i thought the same had happened to mine last year 'til i realized they were too tall for a kid to reach. my neighbor told me the story...
turns out 2 squirrels on the top on my fence were whacking the stems (over and over!!). finally, i guess, they looked at one another like "doh!", chewed the stems through and took off with these huge heads in their mouths! my neighbor got a real kick out of the show and, really, i had grown them to feed birds and whatnot in the first place! (guess the squirrels decided they had to be 'first to the trough' and hog them before they were completely ripe!)
Poopsy_Garden
Posted: Jul/08/2010 7:27 PM PST

After discovering someone had broken off the sunflower from the stem and had tossed the leaves and broken branch a couple yards away, I was upset and could not think of anyone who would want to do this in my quiet condominium community, where there are no kids capable of walking around. I decided to Google this issue and am glad to know now that other people have shed more light on this problem. I know we have many squirrels and rodents in our neighborhood. They stole all the strawberries last year, till I decided to make a veil for my strawberry plant. Perhaps I will create a new Sunflower protection for next year. Ironically, the Sunflower plant was planted by the rodents in my garden.

Attachments:

namrediess
Posted: Jul/23/2012 6:44 PM PST

The same thing happened to me this year, I grew a dozen or more sunflowers from seed, starting indoors. Well I planted them outside and the biggest stock ( at least 6' high and at least a one inch diameter ) had the biggest head at the time which was about 8 inches in diameter. I went out one morning and it disappeared! I really don't know what could have happened to it. it must have been very heavy for a small critter but it was nowhere in sight. I left the stock there ( in the middle of my garden and a few weeks latter it sprouted at least 8 mini blooms! nThey are all alive and well, even though its aunts and uncles have bloomed and died so now the babies are al thats left. I cut the others off about a foot down the stock and left the stock there, I have been hoping that they might bloom again but none have so far. I have one of the big ones left and I think I am going to sear the head off the stock instead of cutting 1 foot down to see what happens. So exciting, this is my first year planting them.

Attachments:

Page 2 of 2 First 12]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account