Getting Rid of Mint

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
wan2hav blog photos
Posted: Nov/05/2006 10:52 AM PST

wow !!!

I have mint..cat nip..and spearmint..but lucky for me I planted it in pots so it never got away...funny thing is I didn't know that it would grow so crazily !!

Ya learn something new every day.................................

Now BAMBOO--that I KNOW ABOUT !!
pantz
Posted: Nov/07/2006 2:29 AM PST

I know this is a long shot but mint flea beetle will have a good go at killing mint. The adults eat through the leaves while its larvae will eat into the roots of the plant. Only problem is finding the little critters.
Kale
Posted: Dec/03/2006 10:07 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander
I am new to gardening -- but my problem is not growing something -- it is getting rid of mint. When we bought this home (Highlands, N.C), MINT was growing on the side of an embankment -- we have tried a lot of things -- hand pulling it, cutting it before the winter sets in, and even Round up -- we cannot get rid of it. The mint continues to try to choke out the mountain laurel, hydrangeas and dogwood tree -- I seem to spend all my time trying to keep it from advancing -- What can I do? If there is a non-toxic solution, I would appreciate knowing that -- if not I am desparate enough to use pesticides. Thank you Highlander
JUMP ON YOUR SHOVEL TILL YOU CANT ANY LONGER THEN GO WARM UP (IF YOU ARE IN A COLD ZONE) THEN GO OUT AGAIN AND JUMP CONTINUE TO WARM UP WITH SOME TEA AND REPEAT TILL IT IS GONE!!

PUT SOME IN LARGE POTS AND GIVE AWY THE REST WITH A WARNING!

It is a pretty plant and does keep pest from others so it isnt a really a throw away plant.

Have fun!

Kale
RKayne blog photos
Posted: Dec/04/2006 10:56 PM PST

Another non-toxic remedy, when the ground has softened, do your best to pull up as many of the runners as you can. When you are tired of that, get some think clear plastic sheeting and leaving absolutely NO space between the sheets lay it out and tack it down and leave it alone and let it BAKE the mint out. I got rid of it in a LARGE area this way, I just made sure to overshoot the area so the runners couldn't escape their demise
unbalancedpj
Posted: Jan/05/2008 8:25 AM PST

I just moved into a house where the garden area was overrun with mint. I haven't tried to eradicate it all at once, but to divide and conquer. Luckily, the mint was mostly contained to one area outlined by cement blocks that were buried in the ground around the garden. I like mint, (plus I think it has pesticidal or insecticidal qualities as my garden has needed no bug control chemicals???) so I didn't worry about the plants around the cement, but I trenched deeply just inside the permeter of the cement and removed all the mint I dug up. I then , but by bit, tilled and spaded the rest of the garden area and removed any roots and plants I dug up. I am finally getting on top of it, but it's taken 3 years of digging. I don't encourage the mint: I don't water it directly, I step all over it, I don't care for it at all. It's finally getting more and more 'stringy' and less leafy.

I do have plants springing ocassionally up in the garden, which I remove, but it's a constant battle which I am slowly winning.

Good luck.....
mbvirtue blog photos
Posted: Jan/05/2008 9:32 AM PST

Hey, thanks for the advice on the mint, best of luck in your continuing battle, and...

Welcome to GG from WI, unbalanced!
stacibrown5
Posted: Mar/24/2008 5:32 PM PST

I also recently bought a house, and just found out that a 10x10 section is full of mint. I would like to sod over this area and I'm hoping that if I follow all the suggestions here (vinegar solution, pulling it all up, smothering it) that it won't come back up through the sod. Does anyone think that this will (or will not) work?
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Mar/26/2008 1:35 PM PST

i know im not gonna be much help here but i love my mint tho im forced to keep in pots fer now (actually some mint gooin over to our neighbors would be kinda nice an annoyin fer them) my best tip is persistance if i wanted to get rid of them also dont let them go to seed that might precent afew plants

the runners are the EXACT reason i use mint in our gardens/beds here tho i have yet to convinve my uncle of its awesomeness hopefully this year i can sneak some in with our plants (we have this hill at his house that needs ta be weedeated occasionally i thought of putting mint in there as a prank but this is a city an i diont think the neighbors will like it much)
chocolatechip
Posted: Jul/10/2011 1:07 PM PST

what kind of lasanga?
chocolatechip
Posted: Jul/10/2011 1:33 PM PST

Well my spearmint took over my medium sized strawberry patch and is starting to take over where the vegetable garden usually is. Also the patch is in the backyard close to the fence (which separates the neighbor and I's houses) and the vegetable garden has a garden fence. Now I want to get rid of my spearmint but I'm concerned that it will kill the strawberries. I have tried digging a little bit of them out in the past and or pulling, but while doing so it pulled out a bit of the strawberry plant patch.

Any suggestions and or help to a solution would be much appreciated.
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account