Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Help! I have a Fairy Ring!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
chiodokeller photos
Posted: Jul/16/2006 12:54 PM PST

I have a Fairy Ring on my front lawn that is 4 feet wide, dark green, does not have any mushrooms growing on it, and is driving me crazy. Every site I've checked has said that the only way to get rid of it is to dig down 1 ft. into the soil, remove all soil, replace with new soil, and hope for the best. Oh my, what a difficult problem. Does anyone else have a Fairy Ring, and if so, how have you treated it?
trudy blog photos
Posted: Jul/16/2006 1:00 PM PST

I've never heard of a fairy ring before. Will have to research that one. Is it called anything else? trudy
trudy blog photos
Posted: Jul/16/2006 1:11 PM PST

http://www.fairyring.ca/
Check out the control and remedies section here, who knows they may work for you. trudy
username5
Posted: Jul/16/2006 2:42 PM PST

From my reading on it Prostar from AgrEvo USA Company used as a soil drench after core aerating the affected area provides good control. Much less work than digging it all up.

I mean yikes, dig all that soil up and miss a tiny bit and the work is all for nothing. No thanks.

I don't know anything about ProStar or what the active ingredient(s) are. I would imagine the effectiveness of any fungicide will vary from place to place and time to time so why not justpunch a hole in the soil with a stake and try some different ones until you find one that appears to provide control?

Things you can try right away are milk which is a natural fungicide. May not work for this, but you probably have milk in the fridge so it can't hurt. Wait a week after application of anything to determine if it worked at all.

If your soil ph is a tad on the high side you can use wettable sulphur which is a potent organic fungicide which also acidifies the soil.

Baking soda has the opposite effect in that it will raise soil ph so if your soil is too acidic then it is a great thing to try as it also is a potent fungicide.

If you don't get good control with any of those options then go the commercial route and try the various active ingredients.

Here is a link to a test with ProStar on a golf course.
tracymorris
Posted: Jul/16/2006 7:36 PM PST

I'd never heard of a fairy ring before and i have to say i am a little disappointed.
It sounds like a magical thing and ends up being some form of fungus.
lovetheflowers
Posted: Jul/18/2006 3:16 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by tracy morris
I'd never heard of a fairy ring before and i have to say i am a little disappointed.
It sounds like a magical thing and ends up being some form of fungus.

Me, too I'm ready for a magical fairy tale.
sweetlebee blog photos
Posted: Jul/18/2006 3:53 PM PST

There, there, Tracy and LTF. Forget the fungus. From Wikipedia:

In English folklore, fairy rings were said to be caused by fairies or pixies dancing in a circle, wearing down the grass beneath their feet. Toads would then sit on the basidia, poisoning them, hence the name toadstool.

In Scandinavian folklore, these circles were attributed to the elves and were called lvdanser, i.e. elf dances.

In German-speaking Europe, fairy rings are known as Hexenringe, or "witches rings", stemming from an old mediaeval belief that the rings represented places where witches would have their gatherings.

Another myth states that fairy rings are doors into the fairies world, transporting people to other places, or make people appear in the same place in a different time.
lovetheflowers
Posted: Jul/18/2006 5:38 PM PST

Thank you Sweetlebee........
You made my day!

Attachments:

poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/18/2006 6:24 PM PST

I thought it was going to have something to do with where the leechbed was for a septic tank. The grass is always greener there ya know?

I'd never heard of that either. My yard is so many different things I probably couldn't tell if there was any there anyways.
tracymorris
Posted: Jul/18/2006 6:37 PM PST

[quote=sweetlebee]
In English folklore, fairy rings were said to be caused by fairies or pixies dancing in a circle, wearing down the grass beneath their feet. Toads would then sit on the basidia, poisoning them, hence the name toadstool.

Now this is what i was expecting. Thanks sweetlebee. Shame no-one will have any pics on this though huh?
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account